Joining of widths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining of widths

I have just had to shorten a pair of newly made interlined curtains, and was intrigued to investigate how someone else goes about making curtains. I have been taught 'the old fashioned way' that interlined curtains are all made by hand, and linings & interlinings are locked in every 1/2 width etc. etc. This pair was completely machined, with lumpy false mitres at the hem, no lockstitching ( so the lining billowed when caught by the wind) - but one thing in particular that I noticed was the where the two widths were joined, one side had been folded back and the join was machined on top of the fold (almost like top-stitching on one side). Is this done in order to be more accurate with the pattern matching, and is it something anyone else does?
    I am sure the person who made these curtains churned them out much faster than I do, but I feel the totally handmade finish looks much more professional - even if it takes longer. Am I being too fussy?
    Rosannagh

Re: Joining of widths

You may find this post of interest: Seaming widths
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Thanks very much for that Philip. I will try this method next time I have pattern matching to do. I can see there could well be advantages.
      Rosannagh

Comment

Hi,

I have noticed a lot of ready mades made this way. In my opinion it makes the join very stiff and does not hang as well as if it is joined in the normal way.

Personally I don't find it any quicker or more accurate either, and so have never used the method apart from experimenting.

Sue.

Comment

This is done for speed and cost reasons in factory situations. Even made to measure curtains from some of the larger stores are made this way. Accentuate your positives - handmade curtains that are handmade!!
          Kind regards
          Pen Harrison
          Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Working...
          X