Eyelet or triple pleat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eyelet or triple pleat

Friend has some material she bought in Spain - It's 160" wide. It's like nett ( I think it's called gardazette or something like that). She wants me to make a pair of curtains for a pole 80" wide. I will have to half this material which will only leave me 80" wide for each curtain. She doesn't mind if it's eyelet or triple pleat, as she says it's not going to be functional, it's for her patio in her kitchen. I'm struggling to decide which would work better as I've never sewn this type of fabric. the top turn down will show through either way. Should I use eyelet tape without lining - would that work Or should I Line and make triple pleats Haven't a clue really and would love some advice for ye.

Ursula

Re: Eyelet or riple pleat

You can buy a see through buckram for voiles so you could do either. If the lady wants the look of voiles, lining them will defeat the object won't it?

Sure someone here will know where from! Sorry can't be of more help.

Comment

Hi Rosie,

Thanks. I've just done a dummy top with scrap of material and the heading with just buckram and no lining is much nicer. Didn't know you could get see through buckram. How would you manage the turn down at the top Would you fold under a full 6" to cover the back of the buckram Typical foreigh rubbish - already I have spent an hour walking around the table (that's that second easter egg gone from my waist Hope I can source that buckram here.

Ursula

Comment

Dear Ursula.

Go for ripple pleat I believe Merrick and Day stock this transparent buckram.

I know Eyelet headings are fashionable but they do remind me of shower curtains, when I point this out to people it seems to concentrate their minds and they ask for alternatives.

Eileen.

Comment

Mind made up triple pleat it is, shower curtain would put anyone off. Excuse the riple - my t is missing on my laptop.

Thanks for the advice
          Ursula

Comment

Just in bed and I had to get up, thinking about how I can put in the hook at the back of triple pleat Tried it on the dummy and all the stitches came away - that's my nights sleep gone. Any suggestions

Comment

Hi
              I have made eyelet curtains out of voile they turned out very nice. I used the transparent buckram and overlocked it to the top then turned over and lightly pressed them to hold the buckram in place. I found it easier to do the hems last to get them straight.
              Karen

Comment

Thanks Karen,

The hem has a lead type little roll that she wants kept, so I'll have to be extra careful when I cut the top. Any idea how the pin hook will not show I was thinking if I make the pleats with just the buckram and then hand sew a double piece of material at the back of the buckram I might get away with the pin hooks set in to this Are there hooks you can sew on instead of the normal ones you push through - I'm afraid to do anything in case I make a mess of it.

Ursula

Comment

Ursula,
                  we sell sew on hooks, but they are brass and quite heavy - too heavy for this. The buckram will show at the top - there are no two ways about it (the same as any hems would show). I don't think the pin hooks will show once the curtain is up.

To mark any line on voile - hem line, cutting line, fold line etc - measure up one side and then pull a thread across the width at each point you need. It is laborious, but the only way to do it.
                  Kind regards
                  Pen Harrison
                  Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thanks Pen,

If the pins will hold through the stitches I will be ok, but the dummy I tried - the row of stitches to make the pleat ripped. Would 2 rows of stitches secure it better do you think.

Ursula

Comment

What strength of machine thread are you using? Is it cotton or a polycotton mix? Poly is stronger.

'Standard' machine thread is 120's (great for dressmaking) but there are stronger ones.

100's
                      75's

Pen,

I understand the Hem is being left as it is. If Ursula does the pulling the thread trick, how will she know if the original hemline was made this way? Might she not risk a very uneven hem but a perfect top? Would it perhaps be better to take an even amount from the top of the curtain therefore keeping the original line?

Comment

Hi guys,

Well I have one hanging up in my sewing room, and it looks fine. I did like you suggested and picked the thread from the top and the tops are perfect. Thanks for that trick. I was going to hang them both and pin them to the required length - take them down - then fold the hem with the weight enclosed to give them a bit of weight. Should that be ok or should I pin them - take them down and do the thread pull again, only thing I wouldn't have any weight on the bottom. Any suggesions.
                        Thanks again for all the advice so far.
                        Ursula.

Comment

Ursula,
                          I'm a bit confused - if you've pulled a thread at the top, and turned it over, is it level at the bottom but also too long? If it isn't level, I would pull a thread at the foldline for the hem and the cutting line, trim off the excess and turn in a hem. You can enclose the weight chain in the bottom of the hem - just catch it at each end to keep it in place.

Rosie,
                          The weight in the hem is woven in when the fabric is made, so should be level with the crosswise threads. Therefore, pulling the thread at the top would be fine - I would check that the hem is woven level, but I've never had a problem. (And surely taking an even amount off at the top will be the same amount as pulling a thread? The top should be woven level as well.)
                          Kind regards
                          Pen Harrison
                          Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Hi Pen,

I was not aware the weight was woven in. I thought it was the type we buy. If, as you say, it's woven the fabric will be true. I just know when I've altered ready made curtains in the past (admittedly not voiles), the fabrics are very far from square or true and, if you try to square them, you end up with a totally lopsided/wonky hem (when shortening from the top), hence now taking 'an even amount' from the top.

Comment

Thanks for all that info. When the curtains were hanging up the bottom wasn't level, but I understand now what you're saying forgive me I'm learning
                              I hung them for the friend today and left the hems until I saw her and she has decided on my advice to leave the extra 6" on floor as the curtains look so much nicer just draped, got away with that one
                              Thanks again to you all I've learned so much in the last 2 weeks.
                              Ursula

Comment

Working...
                              X