Buckram and interlining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buckram and interlining

I know it's been discussed previously but looking thru the posts can't find the answer to my query.
    I am making a pair of interlined tripl pleat curtains. Where do you put single sided buckram in the curtain sandwich.

Is this differnt if you use double sided or just lining?????
    Ta Jane

Re: Buckram and interlining

I would put it between the lining and interining
    Janie

Comment

I rarely make non interlined but would not use double-sided fusible for lined only. You don't want the buckram adhering to the face fabric. For this, single sided, glue side to lining not face or sew in.

And yes, buckram on the back of interling, sandwiched between interlining and lining NOT between face and interlining.

I'm sure Louise explained this all very well quite recently. Try Louise's recent posts....

Just had a look and it seems to be in Triple Pleat Question.

Comment

I am interlining silk curtains and cannot find fusilble buckram, I have to use sewn-in. Do I sew between interining and lining.

Comment

Hi Filomena

The buckram should be placed in between the lining and interlining, fold the silk over the buckram from at the back and herringbone stitch into place taking care not to go through to the face fabric.

Welcome to the forum!
          Philip
          Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

I am making triple pleats, there will be a few layers fabric, interfacing, buckram, lining and 5 inches of overlap fabric. Will it be to thick for triple pleats.

Comment

It shouldn't be, depending on the fabric thickness. Try testing it out on your machine first.
              Kind regards
              Pen Harrison
              Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Originally posted by thecurtainmaker
                It shouldn't be, depending on the fabric thickness. Try testing it out on your machine first.
                thank you, good idea

Comment

If you find that it is just too much bulk you can always cut the lining and the interlining back at the top, that will help reduce the bulk. Leave a 1-2cms of interlining to go over the top edge of the curtain, trim the lining to the finished drop, tuck that flat, trim the face fabric back , fold it under and stitch the face fabric down to the lining. You get the same effect with the strip of face fabric showing above the lining as normal, but it is easier when there are a lot of layers to get the machine through, particularly when its pinch pleats.
                  I have a pair of combi blackout / interlined to pleat up and I am intending doing that way, its too much bulk.

Comment

Originally posted by enid
                    If you find that it is just too much bulk you can always cut the lining and the interlining back at the top, that will help reduce the bulk. Leave a 1-2cms of interlining to go over the top edge of the curtain, trim the lining to the finished drop, tuck that flat, trim the face fabric back , fold it under and stitch the face fabric down to the lining. You get the same effect with the strip of face fabric showing above the lining as normal, but it is easier when there are a lot of layers to get the machine through, particularly when its pinch pleats.
                    I have a pair of combi blackout / interlined to pleat up and I am intending doing that way, its too much bulk.
                    I hope I understand this
                    I am interlocking the interlining leaving 10cm of fabric from top edge, hand sewing buckram 12cm from top, lining 12cm from top, than overlaping the 12cm of curtain fabric and hand sew to lining turning in 1 cm.
                    Does it sound ok

Comment

Yes, I don't think that I explained it very well, however I would turn in more than 1cm of the main fabric, more like 5cm and then sew, but its a personal preference as to how much you like to see at the top of the curtains , bearing in mind that it will be at the back of the curtain

Comment

Hi enid,

I am not a professional curtain maker, so I kind have a hard time understanding

Here we go this is what I have done till now,
                        I interlocked the interlining 8cm from the top (the face fabric is 10cm to be turned at the end for the triple pleats).
                        I will sew the interfacing 10cm from the top, turning 2cm of interfacing over the interlining....or do I put the lining then I turn the 2cm of interlining over the lining. Remember I have 10cm of face fabric to go over the lining.

Or should I turn the 2cm of interlining and interlock like I did to the sides of the curtain.

Comment

Sorry, been at Chelmsford all day so my head is still on the motorway...........place the buckrum on top of the interlining level with the finished drop, and stitch the two layers together , interlining and non-fusible buckrum with long stitches. Cut the lining to the finished drop, lay that ontop of the layers already sewn, fold over the little extra interlining if you have left that, fold the face fabric over all layers, tuck under to 5cms and stitch all the layers carefully taking care not to catch the face fabric on the front. The little extra interlining just makes the hand stitching easier and keeps the ' full' look going over the top of the pleats, but its not necessary. If you feel the need you can take evary third / fourth stitch into the buckrum but usually the seaming of the pleat channels will hold it all in place.
                          Hope this is easier to follow.

Comment

Thank you enid, you've been a great help, you said cut the lining to the finished drop, you mean level with the interfacing or to the top edge of the face fabric.

Comment

The lining is cut to the same level as the interlining, which should be the finished drop of the curtain and then the extra face fabric is folded over at that point .

Comment

Working...
                              X