Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Curtain linings - how do I get true straight square edge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curtain linings - how do I get true straight square edge?

I've made curtains in the past but I've always used separate linings due to my first attempt of lining curtains being a disaster. Although I thought they were straight they were far from it Could someone please tell me the easiest way of obtaining the straight square edge?

Re: Curtain linings - how do I get true straight square edge?

Before you start, check the fabric and lining selvedges are pretty straight and not been stretched or twisted as the fabric has been rolled.

When cutting my drops I use a 150cm metal ruler and a large plastic set square. Put one edge of the set square to the selvedge, then line the ruler up to the other to mark a cutting line which will be perpendicular.

If you have a table large enough to work on, line the edge of the fabric up to the side edge of the table, then the end of the table will show you where to cut.

Once making up the fabric/lining always measure and fold accurately and you should find the end result hangs straight.
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Another way...

As long as the selvedges are not woven too tightly 9if they are they will distort the fabric) roll out about 60" of lining. If they ar too tight, you can either snip them to release the tension or cut them off to achieve the same result.

Take the unrolled end and lay it on top of your unfurled fabric, making a double layer about 28" long, making sure the fold line is straight.

Make sure the two layers line up selvedge on top pf selvedge.

Measure from the fold you have created along one selvedge to a figure up tos ay 27" and stick a pin in.

Thn do the same along the other selvedge and again in the middle.

If your fold is truly a straight line, you can then place a straight edge against these pins, draw a straight line, cut and you will have squared your lining.

Think back to making a square from an oblong piece of paper at school.........

Comment

Thanks for your replies they are both very helpful

Comment

Working...
        X