Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using lining with selvedges to top and bottom???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using lining with selvedges to top and bottom???

I am making curtains for a neighbour and when she gave me the fabrics she said the girl in the shop has given her a wide width lining with the view of using it with the selvedges to the top and bottom instead of running up the side to avoid seaming two pieces together. As I have never done this before can anyone tell me if it affects the drape of the lining? Curtains are one and a half width of 54" fabric.

Re: Using lining with selvedges to top and bottom???

This is called 'railroading' the fabric.

If your lining is wide enough, once hems and top turning have been allowed for, go ahead.

I'm sure it must affect the drape to some degree.

Warp and weft threads may be slightly different in thickness but I have never found any problems.

Last week I made black out, interlined curtains, finished length of 48" and railroaded the lining and interlining without hesitation.

Comment

I tried this with cotton sateen once when making a roman with the rod channels stitched in the lining - it was a nightmare. I could not seem to keep the channels smooth or parallel. I find it works fine with blackout lining.

I have done it successfully with small curtains though.
      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I have railroaded / 3 pass black out lining without turning a hem on my lower end curtains - This is my confession for the day!
        Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi philip, thats a brave confession, did the client notice? or were you
          Helen

Comment

No, not a word said, they had a perfect straight edge and draped very well.
            Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Oh I'm getting nervous now about doing this after my first attempt at making curtains with linings being a disaster due to them not being square. As said I've made plenty of curtains but always used separate linings - easy way out I started a new thread to ask how best to get the lining square and I'm beginning to think it would be easier for me to have the selvedges where they should be These curtains will be a 90" drop by width and a half and I want to make them as easy as possible!

Comment

The less joins, the easier?

Comment

If the lining is wide enough to railroad that drop,it's wide enough to use conventionally, providing you have enough,i.e. 90"x2 plus hem allowance. You might not have enough, as the curtain width is less than that, being 54+27-side turnings, probably 75". How long is your piece of lining? If it is long enough, folding it in half will give you the straight edge for the hems, if you don't mind using half upsidedown.

Comment

Sewingbelle,
                    by the time you have read all the posts on this and square edges and got to grips with what has been explained to you, you could have cut and seamed up your linings.!!!!!!! Don't go with the girl in the shop...they are often there to sell and don't make curtains. Cut the linings as you would curtains and do the job properly.

Enid

Comment

Okay, decision taken I am going with my instinct on this one and the advice given I am going to ask my friend to purchase another piece of lining to allow me to use the lining the correct way. I'm not happy with making something when it may not turn out correctly. I'm not ready to make these curtains just yet so no problem with wasting my time at the moment but when it's someone else that has bought the materials and this is new to me I don't want to get it wrong!

Enid, have we met somewhere before

Once again, thanks everyone for your input it is much appreciated.

Comment

Sewingbelle,

How much of this lining do you have? What quality is it? (thick/fine?). I may be interested in buying some from you if you still have it or could you tell me where it came from?

Found some on ebay but worried it might be too thin....

Comment

Originally posted by Rosie
                          Sewingbelle,

How much of this lining do you have? What quality is it? (thick/fine?). I may be interested in buying some from you if you still have it or could you tell me where it came from?

Found some on ebay but worried it might be too thin....
                          Hi Rosie

I know my friend purchased the lining from Dunelm Mill but as I don't have it yet I can't tell you how much there is or what the quality is like, although I did ask her to get a good quality lining due to her window being south facing. I will be seeing her this week so will be able to measure it then and see what the quality is like.

Comment

Thank you Sewingbelle!

Work tables will look a treat without seams! Not that anyone sees them but us, but perfection is the name of the game.

Comment

Hi Rosie, my friend has now purchased additional lining but sorry before I got the chance to let her know you would be interested in some of it she had promised it to someone else .

Comment

Working...
                              X