How not to make triple pleat curtains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How not to make triple pleat curtains

To all those of you who have attemped to help me rectify these disasters, I thought I wouold give you all a laugh and let you see how bad they are!!!!

Many thanks to Philip for helping to sort out the problems. I am going to unpick them, remake the tops and hopefully will post a much improved pair. I have at least discovered what is wrong with them!!!!!!![attachment=0:v2e4rsxs]pinch3.jpg[/attachment:v2e4rsxs][attachment=1:v2e4rsxs]pinch2.jpg[/attachment:v2e4rsxs][attachment=2:v2e4rsxs]Pinch1.jpg[/attachment:v2e4rsxs]

Re: How not to make triple pleat curtains

Hello Shelley,

You're a brave girl posting your photos when those curtains must have taken an age to make and made your heart break when they weren't wide enough.

I love the little buttons you've covered and gone to the trouble to stitching on.

Will you take the pleats out, iron the curtain heads flat and re-calculate the heads with one less pleat? Maybe if you give us all the measurements we could help you work out the pleats and spaces and then you can send photographs of them, beautifully pleated and fitting perfectly? You won't be the first or last curtain maker to make a mistake with the calculations. I'm sure we have ALL done it on curtains or a Roman Blind at some point.

Comment

Oh Shelley, you are not alone.

Thats what I was doing yesterday on faux silk ones, had to pick out, recalculate, repin and get my colleague to resew.
      What fun!!

Comment

I'm sure we all have tales of woe when learning this calculation......my first attempt was a triple pleat valance which I could not get short enough to fit the pelmet board.......I lost count how many times I re-did the pleats before I found a simple calculation method and realised I just had too much fabric to make a reasonable pleat/space ratio.

With hindsight so many books do not explain this properly - they explain how to join widths, add buckram, lining, contrast edges and all sorts of fancy things, but simply gloss over the vital part of working out the pleats and spaces with lines like "divide the flat curtain evenly into pleats and spaces each between 4-6 inches"
        Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

The curtains do join but 'flop' The problem is that they are too high up the pole i.e need to move the pin hooks and hang them so they sit below the pole. Then the returns will not stick out into nowhere and the overlap will hopefully sit well once the calculations have been sorted!!

Perhaps i am dense but I hadn't realised where to site the curtains on the pole until a few posts this week......Then emailing Philip it all became very clear, why I had never understood about the return...

Comment

Hi Shelley,
            What pretty material! I just spotted what I consider to be a problem for you - you seem to have one of the leading edge front spaces much larger than the other one - I assume you calculated for this to overlap the other curtain - I always make both leading edge spaces the same (i.e. half the overlap added to each curtain), so they look exactly the same on each side.
            Hope the re-pleating goes well.
            Regards
            Rosannagh
            Rosannagh

Comment

Can I add my triple pleat curtains that were not as good as they should have been? to show it is not just you that went wrong

I got so carried away with measuring the pleats and spaces when making these curtain headings that I forgot to take into consideration the horizontal pattern repeat which I feel could have been a lot better thought out. Mind you my daughter was pleased with them and said I was being too fussy! the length and width were perfect so that was some consolation.

[attachment=0:1pia9nu0]cur1.jpg[/attachment:1pia9nu0]

Comment

Don't be too hard on yourself Susan - many many curtains are made with no regard for horizontal repeat, even by the well known (expensive) high street stores who offer a made-to-measure service. One even states in their made-to-measure guidelines that with certain fabrics even the vertical repeat is not matched over widths!

This is a good example of some curtains where the horizontal repeat really should have been worked with (made by a discount high street store)

[attachment=0:1o5cj085]bad pattern in pleats.JPG[/attachment:1o5cj085]
                Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Golly they are shocking! Make mine look quite smart

Thanks very much Louise!

Comment

Hi Susan,
                    If it's any consoloation I couldn't actually see what was wrong with your curtains until Louise illustrated the problem with the obvious pair!! I hope we all learn from our mistakes. I have lowered my appalling pair and at least they sit correctly and no longer flop. Had I done this originally I wouldn't have needed to alter them- and mad them worse by adjusting th ovrlap so they closed. I am going to sort out the edges and overlap and hope that sorts them out.....

Comment

Working...
                    X