Eyelet Question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eyelet Question!

I have just been given a pair of fully lined hand, triple pleat curtains to redo as eyelets. I have unpicked and pressed them and have found no probelems. This is going to sound a silly question.......... Is there a method of inserting double sided rings by hand without using an eyelet press?

I would normally use tape but as buckram has already been inserted in them it would be a straight forward job to use an eyelet press for the rings. I have phone around and it is going to be too costly to have them inserted by someone else and as I have given a quote using the tape method don't want to do the work for nothing. Any ideas?

Cat C.
    Kind regards

Cat

Re: Eyelet Question!

You can buy hand-set eyelets that do not need the tape - I'm not sure if they work with interlined curtains though - perhaps someone else has experience?

You can get them here http://www.collybrook.co.uk/acatalog/Eyelets2.html
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Thank you, Louise,

That could be just what I'm looking for. The curtains aren't interlined, just regular lining. Does anyone else have experience of using them. I would imagine the markings and cutting would have to precise.

Cat
      Kind regards

Cat

Comment

do you have a spare piece of the eyelet tape you could use as a template to mark the eyelet holes? There is an eyelet calculator on the forum here
        Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I have ttried the eyelets from Price & Co. They are metal looking but are actually plastic. They literally clip together. I bought a few retail to test, and I decided there and then I would never use them. They were quite easy to fit, but popped apart quite easily. I don't think they were made with interlined curtains in mind. I might possibly use for voile or unlined calico etc.

Proceed with caution.

Sue.

Comment

That's very interestins Suel. I will test them first before cutting fabric. I'm not using them with interlining, just regular lining,although the fabric is fairly thick.

Cat C.
            Kind regards

Cat

Comment

As eyelets are not meant to be taken out once they've been fitted, would there be any reason for the plastic ones not to be glued together for security, using a glue suitable for plastic, of course This would stop them 'popping apart'.

Comment

Maybe the Rufflette Jupiter rings would be a better bet - they are described as having to be opened via a notch with a screwdriver (or similar) and as having little spikes to grip the fabric. You can read Rufflette's instructions here I can't see any reason why you shouldn't use them without the Rufflette Solar tape as it only seems to add a little stiffening and set the hole spacing.

Perhaps this may not be the perfect solution but might get this job finished to the quoted price.
                Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

We sell two types of eyelet. I have had a couple of queries about the snapfix eyelets not staying closed on thicker fabrics (although it says not suitable for thicker fabrics) but have never had anyone with problems with the Rufflette Jupiter eyelets.

You can use them with or without the Solar tape. The majority of people seem not to use the tape, and quite a few use heading buckram to stiffen the top of the curtain for the eyelets.

Hope this helps.
                  Kind regards
                  Pen Harrison
                  Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

The Jupiter rings without the tape sound like an ideal solution. I may give them a try. Thanks.

Sue.

Comment

Thank you for all your advice on this, managed to get the Jupiter rings today and tried a sample one out on the fabric with no problems, it seems pretty secure. Think I would do this again, as I don't really see the need for the tape as long as a buckram heading has been used.

Cat C.
                      Kind regards

Cat

Comment

Working...
                      X