Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarification on calculations

Hi,
    I'm just about to start a pair of mega large triple pleat curtains. Bearing in mind my last pair that still need to be sorted out!! I think I may have discovered my error and just want some advice.

I followed the instructions from alternative windows for the triple pleat curtains. The instructions say to measure the pole between the finials add 10cm for springback and then halve it. When I did this the previous pair of curtains I made ended up being too small. Should I have also added the return which If I think is the distance of the complete pole & finials and also an overlap.

I don't want to make the same mistake!!!

All comments gratefully received as ever,.
    Jane

Re: Clarification on calculations

Hello Jane,

The AW curtains are based on hand pleated curtains with no overlap. If you have overlaps, you need to add this measurement to the total 'pole' measurement and then halve that. If you have a back edge return you also need to add this in before working out your total pole measurement and then halving that.

So, for example if your flat pole is 250cm and your overlap is 15cm and your are adding a back edge return to the wall of 10cm, you total flat width will be 250cm plus 30cm plus 20cm making a width of 300cm - please feel free to correct my maths everyone.....!

So, this is the measurement you would add your springback/ease to and then halve. This should mean you have enough curtain to fit comfortably to cover one side of your pole, return to the wall and allow you to overlap too!

Good luck Jane and Happy Curtain Making!

Comment

Thanks Rosie,
      Can you just explain what a return to the wall/back edge return is. My pole is flat against the wall, no pelmet. I don't understand about the distance between finials and then adding return. Isn't this the same as the total length of the pole including the finials or have I missed an important fact????

Similarly can you add the springback to the totals and the halve it?
      Jane

Comment

Hi Jane,

Measure from finial to finial, add the overlap for BOTH curtains. I always take my curtains back to the wall as I hate to see the gap between the pole and the wall (lots of light leaches through and it looks unsightly if you walk into a room and your eyes are drawn along the wall behind the curtains so I always put a screw eye in the wall to either side of the pole to return the curtains to the wall.

Does this help Jane?

Comment

Just to complicate matters, I add 5/10cms for each width for springback, overlap if needed, but don't add the return to the wall at this stage. I subtract the leading edge plus the return to the wall from the required half width and divide the remainder for the spaces. I am usually generous with the springback allowance and don't find I have problems.

Working out pleats I find is sometimes ...bingo....first calculations and it works ..or...you have a mental blank and it takes ages to get it back ibnto your head. Its not the first time I have laid them aside until tomorrow or had to ask.

Had the buttons to myself tonight so have had an evenings easy viewing, old Antiques, Larksrise and No1 Detective.
          NO FOOTIE OR RUGBY OR NEWS GREAT!!!!!!!!!! but just had to have a peek on this before bed.

Enid

Comment

The formula I tend to use is.............

Pole length divided by 2 + overlap+ wall return + springback

250/2+8cm+10cm+5cm = finished curtain width 148cm each

To work your pleat /space calculations - 8cm overlap and -10cm return then divide the space remainder accordingly.

Hope thats not too complicated

Comment

What is the meaning between overlap and springback please ?

Comment

Overlap is the amount the curtains will overlap when they meet in the middle. Some people are happy for curtains just to meet edge to edge but most like them to overlap to stop light coming through between the curtains when they're closed.

Springback or Ease is the little extra you add to the width of each curtain to allow them to sit well when closed. If you don't add springback/ease each of the curtains will have to be stretched dead flat to meet in the middle and, as we all know, the curtains will not stay in this taut position by themselves and will springback towards the outside edges of the pole slightly, leaving a gap. By adding an allowance for springback, this doesn't happen as the curtains are not being forced to stay taut.

Comment

Rosie,
                  you explained that beautifully....we should write our own book

Comment

Thank you Helen. What a good idea too!

Comment

Many thanks for all your posts and to Philip for his excellent PM.

I FINALLY Understand where I went wrong previously. I only added springback to each curtain rather than to every width. I could never understand about the return and how one managed to do this on a pole. I will get my hubbie to attach some screweyes to the wall.

If I can master the photo upload I will try and post the disaster curtains on here to give you all a laugh!!!

I am hopeful this pair will not cause me such anxiety

Comment

Hello Shelley,

I'm sure if you email your photo to either Philip or one of his admin crew or moderators they would be happy to upload your pics and talk you through 'how to'. I was so pleased when I managed to upload a picture. I glowed with pride!

Comment

Shelley,

I am sure that we would not laugh. We have all had to learn, we have all had disasters at some time or another, and now having got to grips with pleats, the next pair will be brilliant!!.

Enid

Comment

Hi Shelley,

They won't be as funny as the curtains I made for a client recently! She didn't realise that dress curtains were not designed to meet in the middle. The 2 foot gap between the curtains could not be disguised!

Sue.

Comment

Oh Sue, that ticked me pink.

Comment

Working...
                              X