Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Many Widths would you Use?

Hi All,

I have been asked to quote for 5 pairs of curtains all in one room. The client currently has tracks and pelmets in situ, but will be replacing with poles. I have measured, to provide a rough estimate, but the existing tracks are all measuring 230cm wide. Client would like triple pleats with buttons. I am calculating this at 4.3 widths per window. Rounding up to 5 widths may be a bit excessive, but is what I would probably do, it it were one window. However with 5 similar sized windows in the room, rounding them all up will make a huge difference on the overall cost of the project. I think I could get away with 4 widths providing the poles are no wider than the existing tracks. What do you think. Perhaps I should quote for 4 and 5 and let the client make the choice?

Thanks,
    Sue.

Re: How Many Widths would you Use?

Hi Sue,

I think I would quote for both - 4 widths and 5 widths - and let them know which you think would look better. That way, if they go for the 4 widths they would be aware that they wouldn't be as full (rather than being disappointed once they were done!).

Cheers
    Sue

Comment

I agree, and it depends on the thickness of the fabric and whether they would be interlined or not. If thinner, I think you would get away with 4 widths, - make the outside edge hem as narrow as possible as well.
      Kind regards
      Pen Harrison
      Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Do you know what the horizontal repeat is for the fabric? If you do, you can calculate out the pleats and spaces required to match along the pattern, then you wil know the exact width that you need. I have had to go into the fourth width of a pair - only by 30cm, but it was vital to give me the correct placings for my pleats, any less and I would have had to compromise with either small pleats or no horizontal matching. You might be able to get away with adding a quarter width like I had to do, with hardly any turn on the back edge.
        I hate that horrid sick feeling you get when you realize that there is not enough fabric. In my case I was going to buy the extra drop off the customer if it was not needed.

Julie
        Julie

Comment

If you are pleating by design then you would definately need the five widths. I have made double width curtains for a pole 215cm wide and I just had enough to make teh pleats the same as the spaces. In hindsight I think five widths would have been better.
          Karen Rhodes
          Karen Rhodes Design
          Pole Design

Comment

Yes, Julie I think we have all had that horrid sick sinking feeling in the stomach! Thanks all for your input. As is usual the client has not chosen her fabric yet, and I do not think pleating to pattern will be a requirement as they are likely to be plain or nearly plain. I will quote for both, but make sure that they realise that an interlined curtain will definitely need 5 widths due to the extra fabric required for the pleats.

I have had a few disasters this year, so I want to make sure I have dotted all the Is and crossed all the Ts!

Sue.

Comment

Working...
            X