Hems on interlined curtains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hems on interlined curtains

While flicking through one of my books today I came across some instructions covering interlined curtains, lining and hemming. This book says to slip stitch the hem of the lining to the hem of the curtain all the way across the hem, and to form a horzontal pleat across the hem to allow for movement in the fabrics. see picture below.. I know Yvonne uses this method and wonder does anyone else?

[attachment=0:2xe6mf38]hem.jpg[/attachment:2xe6mf38]
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Re: Hems on interlined curtains

I don't, but saw some curtains at a customer's house where the lining 'hem' was simply folded to cover the fabric hem and handstitched in place (no pleat).

Do you think this method offers any benefits - I suppose it stops dust etc. being trapped in the interlining.
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I don't either,I lock the interlining to the bottom of the hem of the face fabric , single layer only now having had problems with the bulk in the hem and dropping interlining, but it could be another of these ways that are different for all but as long as it give a satisfactory end result ........there may well have been a specific reason for doing it that way.

Enid

Comment

Wouldn't you have to interlock the inner side of the pleat to stop it flopping down towards the middle of the curtain,as well as hemming it? Or stabstitch it? I've seen vertical pleats in linings, but never this. It looks very smart, but I can't see the benefit.

Comment

THe book I speak of is Heather Luke's, Soft Furnishings, you can follow the link and buy them from as little as 1p! Worth buying as she illustrates fully hand made soft furnishings.

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

I'll adopt this method for my hall curtainsm.. If I ever get to making them!

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

I always slip stitch the lining to the hem of an interlined curtain as I think it looks so much nicer and also you dont get bugs crawling up inside the curtains, but I don't put a pleat in the lining I find and I've never had a problem with it dropping. I must admit that I don't interlock the lining, only the interlining, as it all stays together very well if you dress them properly.
              Janie

Comment

I do not put a pleat in the lining but I do lockstitch interlining to lining and interlining to fabric, I do lock stitch horizontally in the hem fold the interlining to the face fabric too. I herringbone the hem allowance and then slip stitch my lining across. I have always done this on interlined curtains as it was the way I was taught but I also don't like the tailored finish.
                Yvonne

Comment

Well this is a new one on me Never come accross this before....

I would be a tad worried that the linings would slip down though

Wow,You learn something new everyday

Comment

Yes I have this book and have seen this method too. I have never tried it myself, as it was not how I was taught. It also sounds like extra work! I have seen a few pairs of interlined curtains made like this but without the pleat. Not sure what purpose the pleat serves actually. Also do you have to hem the lining or not? I normally put 3" double hems on my linings and 4" single herringboned hems on the face fabric for interlined curtains.

Sue.

Comment

I don't hem the lining - I turn under 2.5cm and then slip stitch there is no sign of any machine stitching on the reverse. The lady that taught me to sew has 40+ years in the industry and therefore I have applied the prinicpal I was taught on this basis. I have had no need to change the principal and I have never had any linings sag or otherwise (perhaps I have been lucky). For me personally it is actually less work as I find hand sewing much quicker than machining and of course I do not have a blind hemmer which means that I have to slip stitch the hem on a lined curtain anyway. Hope this helps.
                      Yvonne

Comment

I only make curtains for a hobby, I use this method on all my hems. Once I have slip stiched the hem I press the slack flat . So no stiching shows. The efffect is similar to that of the lining of a coat hem or sleeve. Where ease has been allowed.

This method is beneficial for patio doors. Saves getting all the rubbish blowing up the curtains.

Eileen.

Comment

Working...
                        X