Machining Buckram Pleats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machining Buckram Pleats

Hi - wondered if anyone could give me any tips!

When machining pleats on buckram headings, no matter how lovely and straight my line of stitches are on the top side of the fabric, when I take the work out of the machine, the line of stitching underneath is all over the place and it takes several attempts for me to get it right. The fabric must therefore be slippping. I've tried pins + stationery type clamps.
    Does anyone else get this problem? any ideas? Thanks Paula

Re: Machining Buckram Pleats

Hi Paula, Yes I've often had this problem too but I'm afraid I just put it down to being one of the 'joys' of being a curtain-maker I pin the bottom of the pleat vertically, removing the pin as I reach it. This helps a bit. Sometimes I think I am being too fussy especially when I have removed the stitches for the 3rd time cos they are a couple of mm squint. Just take pride that you are so particular
    Regards
    Mairi

Comment

If your machines lower teeth and the pressure on the foot isn't set correctly, this can cause problems with feeding the fabric through - this may be why you're slipping off line when sewing your pleats in..
      MyDecozo Admin

Comment

Thanks for your replies! I've looked in my Sewing Machine manual (Janome). I hadn't realised there was any such thing as a Pressure Dial - thought it might be this - but I've checked it - and it seems to be set correctly - so still unsure why I getting this problem..... Paula

Comment

I think it is to do with holding the layers firmly when forming and stitching the pleat, and also that there is enough room for the curtain to move to the back of the machine without wiggling around!
          Kind regards
          Pen Harrison
          Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Hi,

I do get this problem, and I find it is better if I sew the pleats from the bottom to the top. Not strictly correct, but I find it works for me! I think it has something to do with the weight of the curtain pulling as it hangs off the table. Just take a firm grip when sewing them.

Sue.

Comment

Hi there,
              Have you tried supporting the rest of your curtain on a seperate table? I always use a line of masking tape on the mechine at the correct distance. After marking the position of the pleats with pins, hold the pleat together firmly ( I dont pin together as usually the fabric's too thick) place under the foot 1.cm from top of pleat and mechine, reverse, then continue down to the bottom, following the edge of the masking tape. make sure both sides of the pleat are together at the top before you start to mechine. If the tension is right then top and bottom should come out fine, just take it slowly, Hope this helps. Regards Helen.

Comment

Sometime ago someone posted a tip about machining pleats - if you sew from bottom to top you won't be smothered in curtain while you're trying to sew, you'll be better able to keep a good tight grip on the pleats and be better able to see if they're going askew as you sew.
                Jane

Comment

Hi I always sew bottom to top of pleats for the reason given above all the material is kept on the table. But everyone has their own way.

Comment

Hi everyone!

Just to let you know - I've found a great solution - I'm machining pleats from bottom to top, having the curtain resting on the table- as quite a few people recommended - also - I spoke to Janome - my sewing machine manufacturer - and I bought a 'walking foot'. It's excellent- it is designed with a set of feed dogs (teeth) which allows the fabric to feed through without slipping or shifting. It really has made an enormous difference and I get my stitching accurate first time, every time! excellent! would recommend it to everyone!!! Paula

Comment

Working...
                    X