Bottom up or Top down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottom up or Top down

Hi all, I have now cut out my fabric and linings, my very first time, had to work on the floor and by the time I'd finished my whole body was racked with pain and suffering (lol), anyway I found it very satisfying. I am about to start sewing later today, and now I would just like to ask another question, if you don't mind, tell me if I'm being a pain, what I'd like to know is do you all sew from the bottom up, or the top down? and what would you do if the pattern match ran out slightly, not that I'm thinking it will, but just in case.

Cheers Chrissie

Re: Bottom up or Top down

Hi,

I usually sew from the top down. Clip the selvedges every 6" or so. When matching your fabrics, pin horizonally at the most prominent parts of the design to ensure that they match. Sew from top to bottom over the pins (go slowly over the pins!). Quite often the pattern WILL go off grain, and if you have clipped the selvedges, then a SMALL amount of stretching can overcome this. Do not overpull either layer in an attempt to get the pattern to match, if it is a long way out, or the seam will never lie flat and the curtains will be distorted. If the main part of the pattern matches well, slight movement on the more minor parts of the pattern will not be noticed.

I'm sure it will be fine!
    Sue.

Comment

Now I do the opposite to Sue. I start from the bottom. That way, the bottom edge is straight to measure for the hems, and if there fabric creeps slightly, then any mismatch of the pattern gets lost in the fullness at the top.

Then I can measure from the bottom up for the finished length.
      Kind regards
      Pen Harrison
      Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thanks for the replies, also I have been reading a few of the threads on the curtain board, and I read that some fabrics can stretch etc, so I thought I would finish the tops off, and then hang them for a couple of days from my poles, so the fabric gets used to the heat etc, and then take the hem and linings up, what do you think?

thanks again Chrissie

Comment

Hi

I was taught to sew from the bottom up - But before sewing anything once material is cut hang over a banister (if poss) and leave the material to 'settle' for a few hours, firstly cut out lining - and leave to rest - cut out fabric - leave to rest - sew lining widths and hems and finally sew fabric widths and hems

Good luck

JE

Comment

I agree with the last post, start at the bottom and work up, for exactly the same reasons.

Sorry, but I think that you are making work for yourselfby doing it this way. Yes, on occasions the fabric does stretch a little, but if you have a flat surface upon which to work, even if it is the floor, there should be no problems. If you are worried, leave the cut lengths to hang somewhere overnight, I do over the landing , and make the linings up instead, but I would never do as you suggested. Sorry !

Work from the bottom up always, seams first, turn up and sew hems, lay in the lining and stitch, from bottom to top, and measure for the final drop.

Enid

Comment

Thank you both for your advice, I am just learning Enid so will do as you suggest, bottoms up it is, once again thank you all

Cheers Chrissie

Comment

I'm self taught -& used to make from the top down. Howeve, since I began sewing for a living, I've switched to bottom up and find it much much better. Good luck Chrissie
                Jane

Comment

thank you Jane

Comment

Working...
                  X