Essential tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Essential tools

Hi everyone. Im just about to make my first pair of curtains. Ive ordered my Encyclopedia of Curtains off Amazon but was wondering what you guys see as essential tools of the trade. The tools you couldnt dream of being without? It would be most helpful.
    Many Thanks

How long a list do you want?

Hi Briony,

When you first begin, you will make do and mend with very little - a good tape measure, a clear floor with no pets/children padding back and forth.... It's only when you see what's available and get a chance to use these things that they become indispensable.........start small and, if you take to curtain making, buy the things you hear about and use that you find make curtain making a more pleasurable (am I really saying that?) experience.

Comment

Re: Essential tools

Hi Briony,
      I could not do without my table clamps and my fabric covered bricks to hold everything in place. They are like extra pairs of hands. A magnetic holder for all my pins ( great for scooping them off the floor after a particularly bad day!) and a thread cutter that hangs round my neck and can't get lost.
      Hope the project goes well

Julie
      Julie

Comment

• Selection of hand sewing needles[/*:m:3478euev]
        • Hand sewing thread[/*:m:3478euev]
        • Glass headed pins[/*:m:3478euev]
        • 1.5 metre ruler[/*:m:3478euev]
        • Gridboards[/*:m:3478euev]
        • Table clamps[/*:m:3478euev]
        • Metal tape measure[/*:m:3478euev]
        Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi Briony

Yes I use a fabric covered lump of lead - great when hand sewing the hems, as it helps to keep the fabric taught (dont think that is correct spelling) magnetic pin holder is very good too - very therapeutic picking the pins up! A thimble for me is a must - would never wear one in the beginning, but couldn't do without on now.

Good luck

Kathy
          K W Designs
          Bournemouth

Comment

A large set square and a 150cm metal ruler (well worth the £25 spent on it), large curtain makers pins with coloured glass heads and a sturdy sewing machine.
            Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I agree with everything that's already been mentioned, apart from magnetic pin holders, but that's just a personal quirk, and want to add that you need a decent, reliable iron.

Angie

Comment

Hi
                Really long hand sewing needles and great tip - if your thimble falls off put a bit of blue tack inside it, magic!!
                Good luck

Comment

Definitel long glass headed pins, not dressmaking ones, 150cm ruler, set square as well as the usual. I also can't abide magnetic pin holders!!
                  Kind regards
                  Pen Harrison
                  Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Isn't it funny what we all NEED to do the job! I love my long quilting pins that are great for interlined curtains. Also I have become quite attached to my little tagging gun. I use this to keep fat interlined hems in place so as not to mark them too badly with pins. Not essential but handy. K
                    Kim

Comment

My needs are:

Two paper pasting tables, together depth gives an 118cm x 2 metre cutting area, folds neatly away and saves the back when cutting, very cheap from Wickes

A quilters cutting pad, mine is 60cm square makes it easier to find a straight line, there are bigger ones available

A Pattern Master (from Morplan) used with above to keep that straight line which I always struggle with.

Comment

Long glass headed pins, 150cm metal ruler and L shaped metal ruler, 1.5m x 2.5m worktable, a good solid sewing machine and a husband who's happy with his own company as I'm always on here
                        Jane

Comment

As well as the items already mentioned, a metre wooden ruler for smoothing fabric, a large cutting mat and rotary cutter.
                          Regards

Andrea

Comment

Working...
                          X