Newby, curtain question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newby, curtain question?

Can i just have some advice please, I'm really pleased with myself, I have just made my first set of small unlined dress curtains for my bathroom, and they both ended up the same length, yipee!!.

Anyway, i feel quite confident and I am going to make some curtains for my bedroom, I have bought the material and lining and heading tape, the lady in the fabric shop was amazing, and was a real help with my measurements, and even gave me an extra metre FREE, just in case!!, anyway to get to the point, I know how to do the pattern match for my cuts etc, can someone just check that these sizes are right:

Finished length of curtains 90 inches (sorry don't do centimetres)
    Top hem 2 x 4ins 8
    bottom hem 2 x 4ins 8
    Total cut length = 106 inches

My rufflette tape is 4inches.

And I have now got my Merrick&Day Encyclopedia of Curtains which I am studying.

Many thanks

Chrissie

Re: Newby, curtain question?

Hi Chrissie

What is the vertical pattern repeat?
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

It's 12 and half inches, I know that all the cuts won't be the same because of the pattern match, the 106ins is for my first cut.

Chrissie

Comment

Chrissie your first cut drop should be the finished length plus turings - you should also look at the pattern before cutting the first drop and ensure you're happy with the pattern placement. The safest way is to calculate your required drop based on the amount of times the pattern repeats within a length - you then count your pattern repeats to ensure the correct lengths are cut.

I would only turn over 2" at the top and 6" for the hem.

Philip

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

thanks Philip, I thought with the header tape being 4ins shouldn't the hem be the same?, Yes I like the pattern placement, it's quite a spacious pattern, anyway have sent you a PM.

Comment

I thought with the header tape being 4ins shouldn't the hem be the same?,
            This is something I have never heard but maybe someone else has an opinion on this..

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

I only ever turn down 2" for top hem (5cm). This was the way I was taught.
              Yvonne

Comment

Hi

I am the same 2" turning for top and 5" for hems (some say 6") I do 5 and turn over 2" giving a 3" hem.

Thanks

Kathy
                K W Designs
                Bournemouth

Comment

ok guys I will go with the experience that you have, thanks for your input

Chrissie

Comment

Working...
                  X