Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Length of Curtains - Help please

Hello

I have finally got to the stage of attaching the heading, after many many samples being made thanks to all your ideas. My measurements are:-

Floor to top if curtain pole = 215 cms
    Floor to bottom of rings = 210 cms
    Curtain pole = 120 cms

The curtains will be inverted pleats and joined at centre, "tied back" permanently hooks approx 1 metre from floor, and with a Roman blind behind. What length would be best please? It's a very narrow, long window and space doesn't allow for a wider pole.

Your help please??????

JE

Re: Length of Curtains - Help please

Hi Joan,
    When I make handmade headings and use pin hooks or sew on hooks onto a pole, I measure from the screw eye down to just touching the floor, then make the curtain 1cm longer. The pin hooks are inserted so that the top of the hook is 1cm below the top edge. I find this gives enough curtain at the top to cover the screw eyes. One good thing about pin hooks is that if you are slightly out, you can adjust them!

Another way you might like to consider is to measure from the screw eye to the floor and make the curtains to this length. When you insert the pin hooks 1cm from the top, you raise the bottom edge by 1cm, which gives clearance on the floor. I mention this method to my students, and a lot of them find it gives them enough confidence to finish their curtains!

hope this helps - would be interesting to hear how others cope with this sometimes crucial measurement.
    Kind regards
    Pen Harrison
    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thanks Pen

These are the measurement I shall go with.

On another subject, I intend to make my dining room curtains with double pinch pleat, is the fabric ratio (2.5 times) the same as triple pinch?

Many thanks again for your help

JE

Comment

If you want to pleat to pattern then using 2.5 fullness will give you adequate fabric to place the pleats perfectly. Otherwise you could go down to 2 or 2.25 times fullness as double pleats do use slightly less fabric. In the past I have calculated the pleats as 3/4 of the size of the spaces. It always helps to make some test pleats on scrap lining or fabric if you are not sure.
        Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Many thanks Louise

I'm pleating on stripes, but would be nice to have them uniform so will go with 2.5 times.

JE

Comment

You might find the stripes actually help you set the pleat positions - I once made a pair where it worked perfectly that the pleats were 6 stripes and the spaces 8 (that's where I got the suggestion of pleats 3/4 of the spaces from......)
            Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I have seven colour stripes for the inverted pleat showing with 8 stripes for spaces (the reverse pleat) - hopefully I will be able to work this out.

JE

Comment

Working...
              X