MAKING EYELET CURTAINS FOR FIRST TIME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAKING EYELET CURTAINS FOR FIRST TIME

I have made curtains before but I am making curtains using eyelet tape for the first time. I would like to know what depth of fabric is the norm for above the eyelet?

To obtain the drop of the curtains would the measurement be taken from the top of the pole and then added to this would be the length of the fabric above the eyelet?

Also, I now have an overlocker which I didn't have the last time I made curtains so should I overlock the seams when joining two widths and if so what size of seam allowance would be best? The curtains will be lined.

Re: MAKING EYELET CURTAINS FOR FIRST TIME

HI Sewingbelle,

I always measure the drop from the top of the pole, then add on 3.5 cm om top for 40mm eyelets, allowing for the flange (outer edge) to be placed 2cm down from the top of the curtain. I don't use the tape though so you would need to measure up from the top of the eyelet flange to see what allowance to add.

When I started making curtains I asked the same question about overlocking seams and met with some bemused looks! I found that it isn't normal to overlock seams unless you have had to trim the fabric very close to the seamline or if it is fabric that frays very badly. I normally allow a 2cm seam allowance, but I think 1.5 cm is also common.

Cheers
    Sue

Comment

If you are using the Rufflette eyelet tape and Jupiter rings you can find instructions here http://www.rufflette.com/guides/tips.html
      and there are basic instructions for the type of tape with metal rings set in to it here http://www.curtain-corner.com/tips/t...let_tape.shtml.
      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

A very important point to remember, you must always set an even number of eyelets in each curtain and the amount you add above the eyelet is extra to the finished drop.
        Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help, it is appreciated and the links will be very helpful.

Comment

Probably a silly question but is the eyelet tape attached by commencing at an equal distance between two rings eg space between rings approx 3" therefore first ring would commence 1 1/2" from side seam of curtain?

Comment

If you are using the Rufflette tape, follow their instructions - the tape is also marked in green where to turn it under for the ends. Yes you would have half a 'space' at each end.
              Kind regards
              Pen Harrison
              Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thanks Pen, the tape I have is In Home and it doesn't have any markings but I will half the space between the rings as you say and it should work okay. When making lined curtains with eyelet tape should the lining finish at the top of the curtain fabric or finish at the bottom of the eyelet tape?

Comment

Finally finished curtains and thankfully they have turned out okay. Not too keen on the eyelet tape as I found the edge of the tape itself did not run in a true straight line and had quite bad dips in it which meant when stitching it onto the fabric it was difficult to maintain a straight line of stitching. If I had noticed this prior to commencing I would have returned the tape and asked for a new length to be cut but probably no-one else will notice the slight dip in stitching.

I ended up attaching the lining just under the bottom edge of the tape and it seemed to work out okay.

I would like to thank everyone for their advice Tomorrow I will commence the cushions to match, four 20" x 20" in different pattern but from same range of fabric and two rectangular ones in same fabric as curtains

Comment

Working...
                  X