Vertical repeat dilema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vertical repeat dilema

I have been given three pairs of single width, tab headed curtains to make into 1" gathered headings. There is only just enough length in them. When I came to try and find the pairs, not one of them matched! and there was no horizontal repeat. I spent hours trying one against the other, reversing left & right etc. Eventually i decided to lay them down and match them to one particular point on the fabric. I ended up with 3 pairs stepped at different levels from that point. Great I thought, but the realised that each 'pair was out of line by 10cm. This meant that when I hung them it was obvious that one curtain was slightly higher than the other. Would I be better using one from a long pair with one from a short pair so that the pattern is totally off line rather than just a little? The fabric is handsewn crewel work. Any Ideas would be welcome.

Julie
    Julie

Re: Vertical repeat dilema

Immediate reaction is to throw them in a corner and jump on them.

I take it from what you say that they are ready made' and you are expected to work miracles. I personally, would take the time to get my explanation simple and get back to your customer. If you can show her the problem and she understands, then get her to make the decision for you. She is going to have look and live with them.
    If they are all hanging quite close to each other, it might be easier to try to get the tops as near matched as possible, but if there is scant furniture in the room, go with whichever, top or hem, draws the eye as one enters.

This is one of the problem's with ready made curtains.....one buys one pair and one is not supposed to want more than one pair at a time because the second pair does not match the first.
    I presume that you have not factored ' hassle' into the quote, nobody ever does. I have some to alter for renting and will end up remaking the whole pair from scratch, I know it but I did bump up the price on them!!

Enid

Comment

I threw them in the corner, scowled at them and then added the time spent on them onto the clients bill which made me feel a little better. Luckily I do not quote for alterations, I just give an hourly rate and say that It could be the same cost as having new ones made. I just wonder what the curtain maker who had origionally made them was thinking when she cut them out!!!
      I may just put them in a big heap, shut my eyes and pick them at random and see what we get.
      Julie
      Julie

Comment

Good for you, you are learning not to be soft!! Time is money especially when its your time and you could be getting on with another job. Alterations are a pain and yes, they are sometimes as costly as starting form scratch.

Enid

Comment

If it is a fairly 'busy' pattern and you are changing them to a gathered heading the client will probably not even notice the repeat or wonder if it is supposed to 'line up'.

Sometimes we are our own worst critics and, as we try and be professional, worry about things most customers wouldn't even consider.
          Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Hi,

I used to alter shed loads of ready mades for a local shop. It was always made clear to the customers that the curtains should be made to a specific length i.e. don't shorten them by 2", because, a lot of ready mades are made not as pairs, but as single curtains, and are only a pair when they get put into a bag. The length on the packet is approximate and very often the pairs will be of different lengths. Sometimes you are lucky and the pattern may almost match, but that is a bonus.

Don't loose sleep over this, just let the customer know the constraints and ask them if they want to proceed. Tell them you will do your best but that is all you can do. They are lucky you havn't charged them for thinking time. If they had paid for bespoke curtains the patterns and lengths would match.

Sue.

Comment

Poor You Julie!
              Can empathise with you though as have had sitting in the workrom for a few months now - 1 x Pair of Crewel Work curtains and another pair of curtains for alteration. Regular customer whom I know well but she knows I don't do alterations (especially old curtains unwashed or un dry cleaned due to my asthma): she was rather crafty and said when I delivered her new curtains before christmas that she needed two pairs of bedroom curtains but already had the "fabric" this consisted of two pairs of old mangy curtains! Before I knew it they were in my car ready to be "altered". I have finally got round to doing them as she is harrasing me now! The crewel work was full of dust and made me ill - there was only 10cm in total for turnings. The other pair were Vintage and covered in Spider **** which I washed in my machine as I refused to touch them! When I made them back up the Crewel work did not match neither did the Vintage fabric - all in all a bag of **** and I am afraid I charged her much much more than I would have if she had had new! I am sorry to say this as I am not a rip off merchant at all and find it very difficult to say NO and to charge properly but on this occasion I feel I had been had over and I have charged the earth. Sent the invoice in advance and no cheque means no manky curtains back - after all I used much more time unpicking and washing spider **** in my machine.
              Don't ever sell yourself short!
              Yvonne

Comment

Thats the way to go, Yvonne. You have been reading the mantra on the garage wall.

Enid aka sturdy old-fashioned (I am still laughing at it.......nothing worse that ones own jokes)

Comment

I am still laughing cos your still laughing Enid: I am going to drive you and Louise to Nottinghamshire and we are going to visit Schubby!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  Yvonne

Comment

Oh cool, pick me up on the way Yvonne - so I can give him some stick too lol
                    K W Designs
                    Bournemouth

Comment

Sounds good to me.......
                      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Let's have a day trip to Nottinghamshire!
                        Yvonne

Comment

is it open invitation?

Comment

I don't want to give him stick........a cuppa would be nice.

Enid

Comment

Maybe we should take a cake? Hmmmmm......what kind?
                              Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Working...
                              X