Triple pleating very thick fabric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triple pleating very thick fabric

I'm making a pair of curtains using a very thick fabric which I think has been FR treated & they're interlined with sarill. They're to have a handmade triple pleat heading.

Because of the thickness of all the layers, its taking at least 24cm to make each pleat which means I'll only get 8 pleats across the width of the curtain. And I think the pleats look really bulky. So far I've only been folding...haven't even tried stitching it so I'm not even sure my machine will go through it all yet.

Does there come a point when the heading is just too thick to make good triple pleats? Would double pleats look better ? I'm thinking doubles would use less fabric per pleat so I'd get more pleats across the width and each pleat would look less bulky.
    Jane

Re: Triple pleating very thick fabric

HI Jane,

It does sound like the curtain is too bulky for triple pleats so I would definitely go for double. Or maybe even single ?(are they called Tete de Versailles or something?!) If the curtain is very thick then perhaps double wouldn't hang very well either but you should be able to get a good idea of that by folding and pinning.

Cheers
    Sue

Comment

Dear Jane,
      Definately think double pleats for these. They will also stack back better than the triple pleats.
      Good Luck
      Julie
      Julie

Comment

Client has, thankfully, agreed to double pleats, which means I've got 10 pleats across 2.5 widths (which looks so much better than 8 across 2.5 widths which is all I could get with triple pleats). Just so relieved my machine managed to go through such thickness. Fingers crossed it'll keep going to do the other 10 pleats tomorrow
        Jane

Comment

Working...
        X