Velvet and stitching hems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Velvet and stitching hems

Perhaps I'm being too picky, but my tiny slip stitches are really showing on a particularly shiny velvet I'm making into curtains. Is there any way around this?

There may not be a way to have completely 'invisible' stitches - a shiny velvet is perhaps the worst combination to catch the light and show any little dimples. I usually make a deep single hem with velvets and use herringbone to stitch, doing my utmost not to put it under too much tension.
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Thanks Louise. It's so unforgiving! Do you find that herringbone stitch shows up less?

Comment

I may be imagining it (!) but I feel herringbone makes it easier to create a secure hem with more even tension. So if done carefully with trying hard not to over-pull each stitch (or catch the thread during the process!) then you can make it slightly looser hence less chance to dimple.

But I could be deluding myself ....... !
        Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Hi.

I tried this and it worked really well. I still have tiny dimples, but they're much less obvious than slip stitches.
          Thank you so much!

Comment

Pleased to hear that! A few months ago I did have to make some dark green blackout curtains in a shiny velvet from Terry's (COM) which were not my cup of tea at all.......but this is how I hemmed them and thought they looked OK. I had to herringbone the selvedges where the widths joined too so was more than ready to move on to the next project.
            Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Working...
            X