altering ready made curtains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• altering ready made curtains

Happy new year to everyone and hope your all keeping safe.
    Was wondering if anyone could advise me how to get the straight grain when no selvedges to work with.
    I have just moved into our new house and was advised that the curtains would be left, they had lovely made curtains and was told they would leave curtains but they didnt have hanging what I thought would be there, they put a pair of dunelm eylet curtains up, wasnt what I was expecting but like the fabric, their chenille so thought Id just redo for now.
    I dont want the eyelet heading but as the curtains were about 8ins too long have enough length to rehead and put a decent lining on them. However they werent hanging straight but as I have taken off the lining I dont have selvedges to use to try to straighten the grain to enable them to hang straight.
    Can anyone suggest how I straighten the grain on them

Oh dear, the joys of readymade curtains!!
    Personally, if there is enough length I would ignore the grain ,square the hem on your table and measure from the hem to the final drop and pencil tape them. Pencil taped curtains dont show flaws as much as eyelets or pleats so you can still make an acceptable job of them
    You dont say if they are have a pattern but even if they do, pencil heading when pulled up is much more forgiving and can hide pattern being ' off'. Ones eyes are naturally drawn to the floor / middle of a drop rather than the top. If they are eyelets then there is a pole involved but even with rings added to the pole, they should look OK. Perhaps not what you wanted but with all the expense of a new house, they will do for the time being.
    Good Luck.

Comment

Also - with 'mass produced' curtains the making can be so speedy/sloppy that the grain might not be the problem. If you saw them hanging and thought they looked twisted or skewed it could be because they were not made accurately in the first place with slanted cuts, tight overlocked seams to join the lining to the curtain and wobbly hemming. Hopefully you'll find by the the time you've removed the lining and heading the fabric itself can be laid out flat and quite evenly and you can proceed as Enid suggests.

I shortened two pairs of long eyelet curtains for a friend over the break - she'd asked for 10cm off the bottom of both pairs. Luckily I have done this type of thing before so checked the starting drops first, only to find 1 curtain was 2cm shorter than the other 3!!!!!
      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Thank you both for your response. Well spent all day taking lining off and and getting them straight, bottom was several inches wider than the top on one curtain and the other one narrower than the top. I dont have any pencil pleat tape but do have some buckram and as I have manage to get the grain sorted and have double width can I manage the pinhook top with double width? Seen lots of pictures of them and am really liking them but cant seem to see much how wide to make spaces and how wide between hooks, can you advise me please

Comment

2x fullness should be OK for a pinhook heading (ie. one flat panel is the same width as the window you want to cover)
          Calculating for the heading is the same method as you would use for a hand pleated heading - start by checking how many rings you have for the pole, usually about 1 ring per 10cm.
          Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

thanks for that louise, got dozens of pole rings so no problem there.
            I have hit another problem, having got my buckram unpacked found I only have double side fusible. As Im desperate to get my curtains up thought that as I only have 4cm spare at top if I fused this to the buckram and positioned scrap fabric top and bottom of the buckram and when done then just lay the lining up to top edge and slip stitch just below top fold line, will this work ok or would you suggest a better way?

Comment

Morning, I think you just do which ever way you find is easiest and speediest. As long as the thicknesses at the top look the same, I am sure you will be fine.
              Dont use double sided myself, but its a balance between making work for yourself and getting the curtains up looking satisfactory. 4cms is a bit tight but I think if you are careful you could get away with just fusing that and taking the lining as close to the top as you can. After all it will be fused to the face fabric as well as the back. Good luck.

Comment

You could always fuse some left over lining to the side of the buckram that you would prefer not to stick......if it's easier lay a piece that is too big under it while fusing the face fabric to the side you want to use then trim back.

Or if you usually prefer sew in buckram, just fuse lining to the whole lot before using. As Enid says, as long as the result is even across the whole heading it will be fine (although a little thicker to stitch in to).
                Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Working...
                X