Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interlined curtain lining

Hi there,
    my client is asking for thermal lined curtains lining to line her 25year old curtains!!
    She has bonded interlined curtains in her lounge which look fabulous and is delighted with them.
    They are looking for something similar to line these old curtains. I don’t think the curtains will hold up to any new linings. I’m hoping she’ll listen this time when I drop the samples off.
    I saw on a previous post that the consensus was that the bonded interlining is awful to work with. Is this still the case or has it improved?
    Any advance gratefully received
    Sally

Hi Sally you could use Dim out/thermal lining. It drapes well & is fairly similar weight to good quality lining.
    KarenS

Comment

Thank you so much Karen

Sally

Comment

Consensus is usually that bonded interlining is good for roman blinds where you need a certain 'body' but not good for curtains where you need to retain the drape of the fabric. It is often used by high street stores made-to-measure curtain service as it is much quicker to make up than using separate interlining and lining.
        Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Thank you for the advice Louise
          that makes perfect sense

Sally

Comment

Agree with previous posts but do be careful with your customers expectations and your explanations. I have use bonded once before, I did not know any better, and customer loved the end result. The curtains still look great but I have done all round her house and only used bonded in the romans....she has not noticed the difference. Personally I dont like it but it can be very difficult to explain why its just not right.

Comment

Thank you Enid, as you say, there’s so much to consider.
              Thankfully I’ve sent off for a few samples and have made them up to help the customer decide which lining they’d like to use, particularly after the previous comments.

Comment

Hi Sally
                I agree with the previous posts that bonded interlining is good for romans but less good for curtains. However, I find lofted or brushed lining useful as a halfway house between ordinary cotton lining and the full interlined experience. It drapes beautifully and adds weight and thickness to the curtains. It has a sateen finish on one side and a brushed finish on the other. It feels cosy!
                Hope you find a solution that your customer is happy with.

Best wishes
                Liz

Comment

Thank you for your reply Liz.
                  Is the lofted or brushed lining the same as the Dim out/ thermal lining as mentioned by Kis?

Many thanks,
                  Sally

Comment

No, it's a different kind of thing. Some dimout is almost a dense 'knitted' structure (Edmund Bell Venus for instance??) while other dimout or thermal lining has a coating like blackout (but fewer actual layers). Lofted/brushed lining is a cotton or polycotton lining fabric which has been brushed on one side to give an almost fleecy finish. As mentioned, it is a great halfway house as you can make up in the same way as lined curtains but gives more body and a warmer feel.
                    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

If you want to read a bit more about linings and interlinings then you can download a free guide I've written here https://www.thevirtualworkroom.uk/workroom
                      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Working...
                      X