Curtain overlap not overlapping!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curtain overlap not overlapping!

I occasionally have to say to a customer whose curtains aren't draping exactly how they want them to " Curtains do what they do", in this case curtains that have been hanging for 10 months (embroidered linen mix), pencil pleat under valance, long drop and from a SG corded track. On first glance when closed they look fine as they were 'dressed' in the first place, but customer's complaining that although the overlap at the top is fine, there is no overlap at the hem. I've spent an hour, altering the overlap arms to make them longer, and sewing magnets in the appropriate place and still the effect is there. The magnets work only to hold the overlap in place but unfortunately when the curtains are closed using the cording the hems aren't swinging over each other to cause the magnets to 'grip'. The reason seems to be that the leading edges have gained their soft fold inwards towards the window like an eyelet curtain does. Most likely because tassel tiebacks are used.
    Has anyone come across this problem before? Need to do something else, suggestions, please?
    Caroline

Would it be possible to put some sort of stiffening in the lower part of the leading edges to stop them curling inwards so much? The only trouble is, that might prevent them hanging well when tied back. Is the customer able to tweak the lower edges a little bit when they close the curtains, just enough to allow your magnets to catch? Would extra weight in the hems at the leading edges give the curtains a bit more 'swing' as they are closed?
    Sorry, that probably isn't very helpful, but I can't think of anything else you could do.

I hope you manage to solve the problem.
    Best wishes
    Liz

Comment

Mine do exactly that!!!!! Both front and back pairs, made by me , napped lining , pinch pleat on a corded pole...…...I have never been able to find out why, as you say, perfect at the top and when closed there is a gap. I am afraid we live with it and we just have to gently put one in front of the other when we draw them. I don't have tiebacks but mine are a linen mix and I love them. I think that it could be the nature of the fabric plus the drop??? Extra weights did not help mine, its almost as though the leading edge is smaller at the bottom, its not, we both know that , its the folds. Now that they are set, I don't think that there is anything one can do...….not much help...…...sorry. Enid .

Comment

Thank you ladies for your wisdom. Liz I think I'll try the stiffening idea because the customer (a man) did suggest that. His comments re 'tweaking' the lower overlap were that having got a corded track he didn't want to have to touch the curtains at all! The fabric is an off-white background. I suspect the folds have now 'set' particularly with heavy tiebacks.

Comment

Good luck with the stiffening- hope it improves things.
          (Sorry- on reflection that comment looks a bit dubious...)

Best wishes
          Liz

Comment

I have never understood why use pencil tape all you have is a square of curtain and no pleats. If you pinch pleat you have shape , overlaps and a jolly good looking curtain. Just because it is under a pelmet you still see the curtain .Don' tell me it is the cost because the end result is what the customer is paying for. Never had and never will pinch pleat except voiles
            Melcurtains

Comment

Thank you ladies for your wisdom. Liz I think I'll try the stiffening idea because the customer (a man) did suggest that, BUT in the last resort. His comments re 'tweaking' the lower overlap were that having got a corded track he didn't want to have to touch the curtains at all! The fabric is an off-white background. I have extended the overlap arms abit more and put many more weights in the hem corners to try to get more 'swing'. ! pair worked a dream after that. But the other two it worked not every time. I have suggested that he doesn't use the heavy tassel tie-backs! He has corded tracks!!! He's a man!! I find men are all for the easy life and can't be bothered with putting on tie-backs.

Comment

Caroline, I'm glad you have found a solution that works some of the time at least! You are right, the male of the species doesn't understand the need for a little tweaking now and again- if there's a complicated mechanical system that can be invented that's the route they'll choose! (With apologies to the male members of this forum who I'm sure don't fall into that category at all!).

Best wishes
                Liz

Comment

Working...
                X