Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shortening pinch pleat curtains

Hello
    I am trying to work out how long it will take me to bring up the hem of handmade interlined curtains. Normally I would take of the header tape and go from the top but these are triple pleat curtains so that isnt possible. They are one and a half widths each , I am very new to this as a business and always end up under estimating the length of time things take!

I've just looked online and prices from cleaners'shops that do clothing and curtain alterations seem to quote at around £12/15 per metre for a lined curtain.

In your case - interlined and pinch pleat I would start at 50% of your per width making charge and see how that price looks. Don't underestimate how long it will take you to lay out each panel and measure carefully to keep it all level.
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I agree with Louise re pricing, I usually charge half make up price and add a bit more as they are interlined. I would clamp the top across my table straight and measure the new drop from the spaces down and pin and go from there. either add on the hem allowance at that stage or turn the whole lot over and work from the pins. Its going to take more time that you think, so be sure that you don't undercut yourself, its complicated!! Good luck, we have all taken on a job such as this and regretted it...….its a learning curve. Might be an idea to make a note of how long it takes for future reference.

Comment

PS - don't assume the current curtains are 100% straight......it might seem tempting to measure the new drop once then work up from the bottom but personal experience (!) taught me to always measure at multiple points from the top down.
        Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Oh yes,!!!!!!! I would measure each space and go from pin to pin...……..your customer needs to be aware that this is an alteration, so you are not working with new fabric. Even if they have been dry cleaned they will have changed, if they are ready mades and just out of the packet ...never assume they are straight.

Comment

In my experience ready-mades are hardly ever straight!

Comment

Or a matching pair, or even pattern matched.

Comment

I am afraid I don't agree with any of you. If they are a long drop I would unpick the top and shorten from the top. The bottom is always straight so leave it and remake the top/ Guaranteed to look 100% Melcurtains

Comment

That is the best and most professional way to shorten curtains, and Helen seems to know that but she did ask about the hem. They are interlined, pinch pleat which entails quite a lot of work for a newbie and will cost considerably more than just going for the hem. Perhaps too expensive for her customer????

Comment

Just wanted to thank you all for your advice - I am yet to receive the job as she is getting a new pole. They are very nice handmade curtains so I am hoping they are straight so i think due to the complexities of the heading I will go from the hem but measure down from the top.

Comment

Could she be persuaded to install the new pole a little higher, thus eliminating the need to shorten the curtains at all?

Comment

I agree to all that's been said re. readymades, they have caught me out many times , I now refuse to do them unless it's a budget conscious pensioner. And of course one does have to alter eyelet curtains up from the hem, so getting a handle on the time of this type of alteration is useful. Good luck Helen!

Comment

Working...
                        X