Cushions - tapered corners or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cushions - tapered corners or not?

I was just wondering what your opinions are on tapering corners on cushions please? Pros, cons and personal opinions would be very welcome, thank you!

Tracey do you mean 'rounding' the corners? I think it's a matter of ease of turning the corners easily after sewing. eg. if you having to enclose piping or other bulky trimming within the seam a less sharp right- angle corner may be easier to pull through to the right side. I notice when the corners of cushion covers are a bit 'empty' when their pads don't fill them, but it doesn't seem to matter to most people.
    Caroline

Comment

Do you mean shaping the corners to remove what some poeple call 'dog ears'??? Personally I don't bother, but I know Merrick & Day sell templates to do this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cushtemplatetapered.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	131509

I always make sure I use good quality cushion inners and buy a size up from the finished cover to get a plump finish though.
      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Yes, I mean the corner shaping to remove “dog ears”. I bought that template from M& D, and have just tried it out. The dog ears have certainly gone, but I’m not sure I like the shaping. Photo attached:

Comment

• Schuhby
          Schuhby commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi TraceyA

I have this template and never used it - I think its more suited to cushions with more structure in the seams such as piped or frilled. I prefer a straight edge for un-piped with a 1" seam allowance as this adds structure.

These cushions have a straight edge and a 1" seam allowance, as you can see the straight edge cut gives a dip in across the top rather than an arch.

Click image for larger version  Name:	tick4.JPG Views:	5 Size:	44.4 KB ID:	131519Click image for larger version

Name:	seam.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	131525

Click image for larger version  Name:	spots.jpg Views:	0 Size:	39.5 KB ID:	131516Click image for larger version  Name:	four1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.7 KB ID:	131517
        Save
        Save
        Attached Files
        Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Schuhby these cushions are beautiful, and I don't think the apparent 'dip' detracts from this. Perfectly matching up stripes on seams surely needs to have a straight seam?
          Caroline

Comment

• Schuhby
            Schuhby commented
            Editing a comment
            I haven't tried to be honest, Caroline but I'd imagine it would be tricky.

I love the cushions with the embroidered letters, did you do these yourself Schuhby? If so what machine do your use?

Comment

Working...
          X