Stiffening leading edges

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stiffening leading edges

Has anyone ever stiffened leading edges in a 'floppy' curtain? I have been doing some alterations to some (pinch pleat) curtains of indeterminate age, but well made originally, and the customer has noticed how the overlaps are rolling towards the window. As I was asked to add some wide flat trim to the edges this means that it's not so noticeable. I deliberately put it about 6cms away from the edge actually on the front of the first pinch because I thought it would be more noticeable, particularly when the overlaps close over each other. However the customer doesn't like this and I'm going to have to unpick and move the trim right onto the edge.
    What I really need is an overlap arm attached to the pole ring to support the leading edge. As there's no such thing, anyone any suggestions?
    Caroline

Could you put some folded heading buckram into the top of the heading overlaps to control the rolling? Maybe a double layer of iron-on which you've folded and ironed on to itself? (Like an extension of the heading buckram that's in the pleats)
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Could you stiffen the trim before applying it (add some iron on buckram to the trim)? That way it could act to keep the leading edge straight?
      Jacqui
      Quarndon Curtain Design

Comment

Just to let everyone know how I solved the problem: I did as Louise suggested: I unpicked the leading pinch and the lining and opened it out. With a rectangle of buckram placed over the 'pinch' area and extending to the leading edge ( which I had to let out a quarter inch because the original overlap wasn't wide enough for the trim) and the lower part of the buckram going below the pinch pleats about 3 ins. When the pinch was re-stitched it became stiff enough to hold the overlap and because the stiffening extended lower the leading edge held up much better.
        Caroline

Comment

Thanks for sharing your solution - glad you got it sorted!
          Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Working...
          X