Eyelets - a cautionary tale

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eyelets - a cautionary tale

I have just helped out a lady who had taken her eyelet curtains to the cleaners and had a disaster when they were returned with 3 eyelets 'pulled' out. These curtains were not new, but seemed well made and the eyelets were pressed metal ones. (not made by me)

As the rest of the eyelets seemed secure, and another pair of identical curtains had been cleaned at the same time with no problem, I was curious as to what might have gone wrong. I looked at the heading and concluded the following
    • there was no buckram in the heading which may have meant it was particulary soft and flexible, perhaps less stability once the holes had been cut so the eyelets did not anchor as securely around the raw edges of the holes.
    • some of the remaining eyelets did not seem closed as tightly as they might have been. I wondered if they had been pressed with some of the waste fabric from hole cutting left in the press?
    I simply put the eyelets that seemed to have a gap in my press to close them, and felt a slight movement to make me think I had been able to tighten them.
    I hand stitched the raw edges of the holes where the eyelet had fallen out to hold the layers together, then pressed a new eyelet good and tight.

The curtains now bear all but the closest inspection and the customer can certainly re-hang them in her room to match the other curtains and blinds.

Click image for larger version

Name:	frayed eyelet.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	131360Click image for larger version

Name:	eyelet not set.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	131361

Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Well done Louise, it sounds as though you have made a success out of a potential disaster. We curtain makers are a resourceful lot aren't we?

Best wishes
    Liz

Comment

Working...
    X