Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time pattern matching - would love some help please!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time pattern matching - would love some help please!

I am doing some curtains with vertical stripes. The client has supplied the fabric so I don’t know the name but the stripes are 12.5cm wide with a 5.25cm space in between. So it goes green stripe (12.5cm), space (5.25), yellow stripe (12.5cm), space (5.25cm) then green stripe again.

the track is 169cm wide with a 7cm overlap and return. I have done nothing except join two widths of fabric together with no side turnings. I’m just now stuck with what to do with my calcs to best showcase the stripes. And then there’s ensuring they look vaguely ok at the leading edge when drawn!

i would be so grateful for some help on this.

What heading are you planning to use??? Sometimes it can be best to use pencil tape, or ignore the stripes when planning handmade pleats to make sure one stripe/colour does not dominate when the curtains are open and the spaces knocked back.

Now you have joined the widths where do the stripes fall at the edges of the panels?
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Hi Louise, thanks for your reply. I was planning on French pleats and the spaces are being knocked forward due to the client wanting the pelmet board above the track to be covered. Maybe I should forget trying to pattern match then?!

Comment

Before you spend lots of time working on pleating to pattern you probably need to discuss with your client so they understand that it will work with the colours in the stripes to manipulate which will be on display and how it will change when the curtains are open/closed. I have read stories of makers going to lots of effort to make patterns work only to have the client has hate the effect........

There are a few discussions on the forum about pleating to pattern, these are some specifially about working with stripes

https://www.mydecozo.co.uk/forum/cur...to-the-pattern
        https://www.mydecozo.co.uk/forum/cur...ntities-pleats
        https://www.mydecozo.co.uk/forum/cur...ours-and-sizes

I have also written a Guide explaining the theory and practice of pleating to pattern which is available to buy and download on my Virtual Workroom site.
        Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Hi Viny, I concur with Louise regarding your plans for the curtains and your client's expectation. Usually when a customer chooses a vertical stripe I discuss with them the way the pattern may run according to the heading. Most times they have no preference, and this of course makes curtain making much easier. You also have the top of the curtain hidden under a pelmet, so don't overthink the heading. The way you describe the run (pattern) of stripes I would at the very least try to keep the run flowing across the leading edges. It may come down to how much fabric the client has given you.
          Caroline

Comment

I agree with Carolineblue4 (I think!) If you're not careful with your pleating to pattern your fabric can look disasterous - eg one curtain all green and the other all yellow! Just bear this in mind and if you need help working out your pleats I'm sure there are people here who can help! Maybe download a picture of the fabric joined which will make it easier to envisage ....
            Also bear i mind that you need to work out your pleats before you fold over your leading edge and return as you will end up cutting off some of the excess fabric which is created by working these out. Generally when pleating to pattern you need to allow an extra half width to allow for this.
            Jacqui
            Quarndon Curtain Design

Comment

Working...
            X