Ideas please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas please

I'm mulling over how to make a silk purse out of a sows ear....I have made a pair of curtains for a cottage window, double pleat heading in a wool fabric. It's a COM job & customer has presented me with fabric for door curtain which is almost next to the window. There is no where near enough fabric(!) one width of fabric for a 103cms pole. Does anyone have any clever ideas ? The door is almost never used - I obviously cannot make a double pleat curtain to match the window which was the original plan. Customer will not buy more fabric. I have some off cuts from the window curtains. I'm thinking I may just have to make a panel with no fullness. Any clever ideas would be appreciated!
    KarenS

KLS, I assume the offcuts are across the width, so short pieces? Is it plain or patterned? If your customer is asking you to be creative there may be a chance the offcuts could allow alittle extra width to be gained, but that depends on the pieces. I'm surprised that the customer isn't going to buy more fabric to complete a matching single curtain, which suggests that they don't really care what the heading is. You're hanging from a pole, so my suggestion is the keep the curtain panel flat and use a pinhook heading to move the fullness into regularly spaced unstructured pleats. How many depends on how the wool drapes. I would create a buckram top and put the pin hooks in , in situ so you can adjust the pleats to see the effect they make.
    Caroline

Comment

Good suggestion from Caroline, or alternatively make tiny single (or inverted) pleats, or if you have enough length a hidden tab heading so the top of the curtain sits above the pole and therefore looks entirely different to the window?
      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Thanks Ladies, I was thinking of a pin hook heading on a panel so that I can return it to the wall both sides for warmth. The off cuts are short pieces but I cant see how to use them other than a gathered flop top heading on the panel but this would look too different to the more formal French pleats on the window curtain. Customer isnt asking me to be creative but to 'do my best' (!) I'd like to make the best of a bad job for my own sake & as I've been recommended by another repeat customer. Wish me luck.
        KarenS

Comment

The challenges we are set!
          Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Indeed!
            KarenS

Comment

I'd just make a sows ear!
              Jacqui
              Quarndon Curtain Design

Comment

it may well be JacquiF!
                KarenS

Comment

But it will be a double pleat sow's ear I hope!!?
                  Jacqui
                  Quarndon Curtain Design

Comment

Sorry - I'm not being helpful! What about attaching to a swinging dormer rod above the door so that it will cover the width of the door and therefore add a bit of insulation. They're relatively cheap. If that's not an option then attach to a piece of velcro or batton on the door as a single flat panel - why do these customers do these things???
                    Jacqui
                    Quarndon Curtain Design

Comment

Haha JacquiF I did appreciate the sows ear comment & its well deserved there is a pole in place so just using this & it will be a panel. I spend far too much time over thinking...
                      KarenS

Comment

Working...
                      X