Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photographing curtains

Hello,

I have recently started my business as a curtain maker and thought I was quite good with a camera. However, I am really struggling to get good photos of my finished curtains and blinds. The window I am photographing is often the only source of natural light in a room, and then I'm photographing into it. Consequently I getting terrible photos that do not do justice to my work. How do other curtain makers achieve such lovely photos?

Thanks in advance

Lisa

Taking photos of finished curtains and blinds in situ can be tricky - you're not alone! I've had a few tips from a professional photographer:
    - use a proper DSLR camera and switch it to manual so that you can adjust the settings, and ISO in particular
    - avoid photographing when the sun's blazing in through the windows. If you don't, there'll be far too much backlight to make your curtains visible
    - use a curtain / blind as your point of focus rather than the glazed window. That way, you trick the camera into ignoring the daylight and instead focussing on the darker area of the window treatment.

Hope this helps and good luck with your business!
    CatherineL
    Catherine Lepreux Interiors

Comment

In addition to what Catherine says, I would also say take some close up shots to show the heading or the tieback. Something that is the focus of the curtains is going to showcase your workmanship and creativity more than trying to get the whole of the window in view. You can't really do much when the sunlight streams through the closed curtains and changes the colour. I have copied the commercial curtain manufacturers when they do a room set, if possible taking a shot of one curtain with a piece of furniture close by and then you don't get the problem of too much sunlight causing over exposure. I tend now to only photograph a curtain or blind if there's something special/unusual about it. Perhaps it has a different heading or embellishment or it's a fabric that's really unusual, because afterall a curtain is a curtain is a curtain and a customer can't see the work that's gone into it! When I've mentioned to the customer that the shot I've taken doesn't look great because of the sunlight they have often offered to take a couple of photos at night themselves and email them to me. I have a room where I can hang completed curtains and blinds before they go out for fitting and I often take photos for my Facebook page then. I started doing this because I once had an instance when I asked the customer if I could take a couple of photos of their curtains and was refused (probably because I said it was for showing on the Facebook page). Sheers and voiles are particularly hard to photograph well.
      Caroline

Comment

It is tricky. Lots of great advice here, you could also try taking the photo from a side view/angle which usually helps. Good luck & enjoy.
        KarenS

Comment

Some compact cameras have an option where you can point away from the window and half depress the button to set the light level to that of the room. Then keep the button half down, move to frame the curtain/window, and press to take the shot. That helps keep the right level to show up the curtains.
          Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Thank you all so much. That's great advice.

Comment

Working...
            X