Wave curtain springing out at bottom

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wave curtain springing out at bottom

Hi does anyone have any suggestions for lined wave curtains springing outwards at the bottom? They have been hung and tied and they are weighted. I am popping over to see my customer and was just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions apart from folding in the pleats with your hands or tying they up again.
    Julia

Hi Julia

I've been learning about the wave system myself this last few weeks - How wide are your spaces?
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi Schuhby, they were 6cm and 12 fabric distance., they were shorter drop 1.76. The last ones I did were full length, interlined and they look fine! I am going round next week, although my fitter did tie them, and customer has tied them up again at the bottom.

Comment

• Schuhby
        Schuhby commented
        Editing a comment
        It could be the fabric fighting against the small wave - I've taken to the decision to make of lined and interlined curtains withe the larger 15/16cm wave and keep the 12cm for unlined and voile's.

You might find adding extra weights at the corners will help if the edges flare, or if the whole hem is the problem, putting in chain weights across the whole panel. I think this might have come up before if you have a search of posts.....
      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I often put a long cotton chain holding the bottom corner into place (leading edge back to first fold). Tried weights, steaming etc but this is an easy method that works.
        John Quine
        Brooke Design
        Fylde Coast

Comment

Thanks for replies, I’m having a look next week. I think I will start by hand pressing myself and seeing how that goes (luckily she’s nice customer and very local). I only did smaller waves because she had a sofa in front of the window and we had to hide some cut off coving. Brilliant idea - I’ll try the cotton chain method next, do you just sew 4 or 5 strands?

Comment

Yes, last ones I did was 4 strands of 75's thread.
            John Quine
            Brooke Design
            Fylde Coast

Comment

I had the same problem recently with a full length drop lightweight faux silk simply lined. The heading was Rufflette Tempo tape. I went back three times: the first time to add an extra penny weight and re-tie. That was left for a further week, no joy. Second time I did the long tack, but that didn't work because it seemed to be pulling the neighbouring pleat out of being vertically plumb. The third time I ironed the double turned hem carefully because of the presence of weights and what was successful was creating a 'tie-back' behind the curtains. Essentially I came to the conclusion that the flaring of the leading edge was worse on the pair of curtains the customer wanted to push into a tight stackback, as the trouble disappeared when they were closed. The problem was most pronounced on this curtain pair and minimal on another pair and not at all bothering the customer on the third pair that were behind a sofa.
              I will share this tip from a friend of mine who puts a wire into the hem of the first wave pleat and bends it into shape. I did this on a voile hung on an SG Wave track where the extra chain weights in the hem didn't really work. I've come to the conclusion that it's a problem with lightweight fabrics.
              The reverse tie-back was a simple strip of blackout lining cut a little bit longer than the stack width and fastened with velcro to the facing of the curtain and then velcroed to the wall recess. This was done about a third way up from floor.
              caroline

Comment

Thanks, will remember these for the future. When I got round to the customer's house it really wasn't that bad at all - she had persisted with tying them back and then put a peg just at the bottom. Seemed to be working!!

Comment

Working...
                X