Repair - Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repair - Help

Does anyone have a tip on how to repair a tiny hole in silk. I managed to snip a little hole only a couple of mm in the hem. Its on the inside and not really visible but not sure whethere to leave it alone, use glue, patch or overstitch with matching thread. Any advice??
    Karen Rhodes
    Karen Rhodes Design
    Pole Design

Re: Repair - Help

Turn down your hem so wrong side facing place a small piece of bond web or wonder web place on the small hole ,Take a snippet of the same fabric, place ontop of the bondaweb, then iron into place . It will stop the offending hole fraying . Turn up your hem as normal and sew.

I have done this before by putting my sharpest scissors down onto a curtain , not fully closed, then picking them up thus closing the shears and snipping the curtain fabric aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nightmare.

Hope it works.

Comment

Hello Karen,

If it is tiny, I'd iron a tiny, tiny piece of the lightest weight vilene on the reverse, catching all the edges of the cut so you can't see the hole at all.......good luck!

Comment

Thanks

Yes I have got some of the very light vilene I will give it a go. I don't think anyone will notice except me. When the client sees the curtains hanging beautifully hopefully the last thing on her mind will be inspecting the insides of the hems.
        Karen Rhodes
        Karen Rhodes Design
        Pole Design

Comment

I'm sure it will be fine Karen, what a frustrating thing to happen, but i think it is something that happens to us all at some time. I know i have done it. On a roman blind, all finished just snipping threads, and just snipped the fabric, couldnt do anything with it, had to make another one, luckily had enough fabric to do it and it was a small blind...........
          sharon

Comment

Yes I think this is something we have all done! Vilene / wonderweb with a very small piece of the same colour fabric is the way I would do it. I'm sure worse has happened and clients haven't noticed, all their minds will be on is seeing their beautiful curtains hanging. Good Luck.
            Kindest Regards,
            Karen

Comment

Working...
            X