Heading tape and voile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heading tape and voile

To supplement my income I also make curtains for a shop, which I don't enjoy working on usually as they are always machined with heading tape. Well I seem to be having a daymare (at least with nightmares you wake up) as I have 4 pairs of voile curtains to make with pencil pleat heading tape, 1 pair having 7 metres of fabric in each side. My main problem is when applying the heading tape the voile puckers quite badly, it is a good quality tape being Rufflette, but I have so far spent all day on these and still haven't completed a single pair. The guy in the shop told my husband when he went to pick up the fabric how easy they were to make!!!!! What does he know?? Help please............what am I doing wrong? I Hate Voile!

Poppy

Re: Heading tape and voile

Hi Poppy,

voiles are a nightmare. Have you tried loosening off the tension a bit, new needles nice sharp ones, and I presume you are using a tape suitable for voiles. I never had any luck with ordinary tape.

Thats about all I can suggest, others will follow.

Enid

Comment

Thanks for your quick response Enid, the shop supplied the tape and it is for Medium to Heavyweight fabric!! I did notice this but I know that he has used other sewers to make these Voile curtains for him in the past and presumed that they managed with this. Is it possible to make a decent Voile curtain with this weight of tape?

Thanks
      Poppy

Comment

Hi Poppy you could try putting the heading tape on by sewing your first riow of stitching as usual from the back but make sure you get a lot of tension on the voile ,pull it tight as you sew , then turn over and sew the second line of stitching on the front as you should be able to see through the voile and then keep the voile straight without it puckering hope this may help .

Comment

What heading tape is it. If I machine heading tape to voile I use a net tape from rufflette. Its better than using ordinary pencil pleat tape and half the width.

Try to lift your pressure on your foot to the lightest setting.

Comment

Personally I would not use normal tape, its not for curtains, its too heavy.

The net tape from Ruflette is designed for the purpose and much much easier to handle.

Enid

Comment

Thank you for your replies, it is a Rufflette Regis Supreme tape, I have used it many times on heavier fabric and it has been a treat to work with. It is definitely not working with Voile but I hate being a quitter and I am going try again using some of the tips that have been suggested. I will let you know the outcome.

Thanks again
              Poppy

Comment

I refuse to work with voiles of any quality - I recently had some made by, they supply and make to trade only.

http://shop.kramsugo.co.uk/index.asp

You'll need to open an account..

Philip
                Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Thats who I use too Phillip, thier service is brilliant

Comment

i agree philip voile is the most awful stuff to work with we tend to use a brilliant company called ADO , it all comes pre weighted along the hem and lovely triple pleat heading if required

Comment

Ummmmm cheers guys Not quite what I wanted to hear but thank you for your refreshing honesty.
                      You know when I said I wasn't a quitter? Well it was a big lie cos I quit...................for tonight anyway.

Poppy - with a stinking cold and a broken boiler but not in the least bit demoralised

Comment

Awe Bless Poppy - You ned a nice hot toddy to take to bed with you

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy View Post
                          To supplement my income I also make curtains for a shop, which I don't enjoy working on usually as they are always machined with heading tape. Well I seem to be having a daymare (at least with nightmares you wake up) as I have 4 pairs of voile curtains to make with pencil pleat heading tape, 1 pair having 7 metres of fabric in each side. My main problem is when applying the heading tape the voile puckers quite badly, it is a good quality tape being Rufflette, but I have so far spent all day on these and still haven't completed a single pair. The guy in the shop told my husband when he went to pick up the fabric how easy they were to make!!!!! What does he know?? Help please............what am I doing wrong? I Hate Voile!

Poppy

Hi Poppy,
                          Not sure if I am replying correctly on this thread....or indeed if anyone is still reading this thread as it is very old.
                          I have discovered double sided sticky tape is ideal for this problem.
                          Use one strip to turn down a 2cm top hem, then stitch through it when stitching the top of the header tape. Then attach double sided sticky tape to the bottom of the header tape and line up to the curtain and smooth down so that it is straight with no creases. Stitch straight through tape that is aligned to bottom of tape, as it is already firmly in place. ....it works

Comment

Working...
                          X