Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just how long does it take.............?????????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just how long does it take.............?????????????

How many man/woman hours does it take to make a pair of lined, inverted pleat curtains (120cms x 110cms)

I seem to be taking ages, (although I can't do it full-time with family commitments, about two - three hours a day) but I started cutting Saturday week ago and I still haven't finished the first curtain yet, yet alone a pair, a few silly mistakes on the way, (scorched the lining, didn't get a straight line on face fabric etc.,) and I have two sets of full length and one sill length still to do before the New Years Eve party.

I know I'm a novice but this seems a ridiculous amount of time to take. Did anyone else have this trouble at the beginning of their curtain career?

J

Re: Just how long does it take.............?????????????

Hi Joan
    Don't be so hard on yourself. If you are new to curtain making then it will take as long as it takes until you are familar with the contruction and techniques that suit you best. Only doing a couple of hours at a time must be very frustrating because by the time you have got into the swing of it I would imagine it's time to stop. Then you have to remember where you got to the last time when you start again. Just enjoy it and when you start the next project you will be a bit quicker.
    I've probably been no help at all have I but I do remember that when I first started curtain making it used to take me forever to finish anything.
    I guess it just takes practise like everything in life.............
    Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Yes, Penny is right...it takes as long as it takes!

At home, as you say Joan, life gets in the way , at work there are fewer distractions. Just take your time and you will get faster as you get more confident. The next curtains that you do, you will find that some stages are quicker as you KNOW what you want to do, how to do it and won't spend time dithering as to ' is it this way or that way?' Nor spend time reading this site ...which does become very compulsive. Just think how chuffed you will be when you hang your finished job.

Enid

Comment

Hi Joan,

Like you I can only spend a few minutes let alone hours a day making curtains due to other work committments-so It takes me weeks. I have found that it fits in with the family best if I can leave everything out and set a priority for the day and then stop. So one day I may insert buckram,the next do a section of hem. That way I feel my goals are achievable and I don't get despondent. Once they are finished I look at the lovingly and enjoy how much money I have saved myself!

Comment

Hi

I am also a part time ( and self taught ) curtain maker.

My very first project was to make my own curtains for my bedroom.. they were simple 75x90 , but I managed to line them as well,, they took me 4 weeks !
          after that I made some for mom, nan , aunts cousins etc and got quicker and quicker.

Someone asked me to make swags and tails .. I shrank back in horror ! but then I realised my Mom had got swags and tails in her lounge so I pursuaded her to let me "unpick" one swag and one tail .. I got the basic idea (even put the swag and tail back together) and hey presto I made swags and tails ! . That was 8 years ago.!

Since then I have self taught myself to make various headings, (eyelet, goblet, straight /shaped valances etc) , I only can afford to spend 3 hours per day on any project but for example for me to make swags, tails, curtains and tiebacks will roughly take me about 6-7 days. Speed comes with practise , you learn the "shortcuts" but also learn from your mistakes.

Dianne x

Comment

Hi

Your words of encouragement mean a lot - I really thought I was a complete idiot, however I have just put the buckram on and ready to do the hand sewing tomorrow and sew the inverted pleats Sunday (mind you best laid plans!!!) That one curtain finished. Should be ready for 2009 new years eve.

J

Comment

Working...
            X