Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long interlined curtains

Hi All,

Does anyone have any advice to offer when making very long interlined curtains? I have almost finished a pair of heavy chenille, interlined curtains with a length of 3M. Now my worktable is only 2.4M long. I am feeling very bad that I only interlocked the interlining to the fabric, and the lining to the interlining as far as my table would let me. I was so worried about moving the curtains down the table, the chenille was so stretchy, the curtains were almost too heavy to move on my own, I was afraid of the layers all shifting. Do you think these will be OK? They are hand pleated and I used double sided buckram to hold everything firmly in place at the top. I chain stitched the bottom hems every half width. I have done everything as I would normally, I just did not interlock the top 60cm or so. The completed curtain looks OK, but I cannot hang it as I only have a 2.4 drop track in my workroom.

Any advice for any future similar job would be much appreciated.

Thanks Philip for suggesting not pre-joining the interlining, but herringbone joining each width as you go. Much easier than handling a huge amount of interlining. This will be my preferred method from now on.

Thanks - Sue.
    Save

Re: LONG INTERLINED CURTAINS

Hi Sue
    I think these curtains will be fine, you have interlocked the main body of the curtain, chain stitched at the hem, the pleated heading will hold the rest of the layers together. I have done this in the past and in my experience have not had a problem.
    Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Hi Suel

I seem to be making a lot of these curtains lately and I have done the same as you, so far had no problems.

So therefore my advice to you is - stop worrying all shall be fine!! lol

Kathy
      K W Designs
      Bournemouth

Comment

Hi Sue

I am sure everything will be fine (who said sewing is therapeutic) As for hanging even though you have only got 2.4 drop track I would still hang them get them in to their folds, can be a little bit fiddly but when you get to the bottom drag your curtains out a little just so you can carry on getting the folds in place , then carefully fold the pleats so that as you look at them frontal they are folded to the side. Even with a short track it really does help to hang them for a while. Can you make sense of that, not very good at explaining.

Regards

Irene

Comment

I don't interlock to the top, as I think the pleats are there to hold the layers together, so I wouldn't worry about it.
          Kind regards
          Pen Harrison
          Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thanks, I feel a bit more confident about hanging these now. I think you're right Irene I should hang them first, as it is to be Monday now as there is a blind to go with which I have yet to make. Hope my track is up to it.

Sue.

Comment

Thanks - I did not loose any sleep over these due to your reassuring responses! I was very pleased with these and so was the client. I needn't have worried, and will not bother to interlock up to the heading on very long curtains in the future.

I didn't pre-hang them in my workroom as my track would have snapped! I just left them neatly folded and overhanging my workroom table during Sunday. They hung perfectly and were a doddle to dress - assume their sheer weight was all that was needed.

Thanks.
              Sue.

Comment

Working...
              X