Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buckram - fusible - help help help

Hi

Everyone has been so helpful on my previous posts on interlining and seams.

I have now reached the stage to insert my fusible buckram. I have been told to dampen the buckram then iron onto interlining using brown or parchment paper then fold over excess face fabric using same method, then iron on lining, But this isn't working the buckram is not adhering to anything, just going very limp, fortunately I have also made a sample curtain to make mistakes on so haven't wasted metres of buckram yet.

What am I doing wrong please????????????????????????????

Regards

J

Re: Buckram - fusible - help help help

Hi J

Lay your buckram in position with the lining on top; fold the tops neatly and then iron using a good steam iron, you do not need to wet the buckram or use vinegar and brown paper.. The steam is all you need, this will activate the glue in the buckram. Allow the buckram to cool before moving the curtain..

I prefer to insert my buckram starting in the middle and working my way out to each side, I feel this works better for me and doesn't buckle.

Philip
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi Philip

Thank you thank you thank you

Once again you have rescued me

J

Comment

You may find this post of interest fusible buckram originally started by Suel and this post inserting buckram originally started by Sophie.
        Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Just a thought.....it is definitely fusible buckram you have?

And for anyone who finds their iron gets sticky even using single-sided buckram, let it cool and use a cleaner called Bar-keeper's Friend (I think Sainsbury's stock it, and Robert Dyas) It is very effective and has lots of other uses around the house.
          Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Definitely fusible - It is now attached to curtain, following instructions in posts, ready for me to sew, hopefully, pleats tomorrow I've already read some posts on triple pleats so should go well. and Bar Keepers Friend is brilliant I use it on my SS cooker.

Comment

Glad to hear you have got the buckram sorted....on to the next step!

Just think how easy you are going to find the next set of curtains you make.......
              Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

A bit late, I know, but you should only need to dampen double starched buckram (the brown jute one) that's used for pelmets and tiebacks, not heading buckram. And it doesn't need to be stuck completely, just enough to hold it in place whilst making the pleats. I just use an ordinary iron, no steam.
                Kind regards
                Pen Harrison
                Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Working...
                X