Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seams in lining and interlining

Hi

I'm just about ready to start putting my curtains together, interlining, lining and fabric joined one and half widths etc.,. But would you line up all the seams in the same place (would this be too bulky having seams more or less in the same place)or would you have the interlining seam one side of the curtain and the lining seam the other side.

Any help would be appreciated

Many thanks

Jay (novice)

Re: Seams in lining and interlining

Hello Jay,

I usually try to get my lining and face fabric to match up along their seams. Unless the fabrics are unduly thick, I have no problem with the interlining joining at the same point in an overlapped herringboned seam. However, as I usually double my interlining over inside the leading edge, the interlining join can often be just offset and not sit at the same point as the face fabric/lining join. My headings are mainly double/triple/goblet pleats and the pleats are never made at the joins so the bulk of any joins never impacts on the pleats.

I have replied as you may want to get on with your curtains. However, someone else will probably explain their way better than I have explained mine.

Comment

Hi,
      I usually have all the joins and seams of all layers inline with each other and have never had a problem. It was the way I was taught but others here may have differing methods.

One thing I do find frustrating is that linings are 137cm w and some if not most patterned of fabrics are 140cm +w , therefore the seams wo'nt match up on more than 2 widths anyway! Pretty irritating that they dont make wider linings, but thats a completely different subject all together ! If this is the case I tend to match up the seams on the first seam ( from the leading edge) and the rest follow as they fall.

Is this the same for most of you??

Comment

Hello,

I knew some one would explain better.

Comment

If i can i do match them up. For instance if i need to cut down lining for double width curtains then i cut the excess off both sides so that the seam is still in the middle.
          Sharon

Comment

Hello,

I do this too with my linings.

Comment

Hi

Thanks everybody for info. I also have cut the lining wider (more luck than judgement to allow for errors) so will be able to match seams as you described.

Many thanks again

J

Comment

Hello Jay,

Good luck with your curtains

Comment

Just to say that we supply a lining that is 142cm wide. On interlined curtains I dont think it matters if the seams are not lined up, and they dont show, but I would always line up fabric and lining seams on just lined curtains.
                  Kind regards
                  Pen Harrison
                  Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Working...
                  X