Interlining Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interlining Question

I'm just starting some big curtains and am going to use Philip's method of joining interlining widths by herringboning. I'm confused, though, as to where to lockstitch the face fabric to the interlining at each seam. Do I lockstitch the first width down the seam, then herringbone the second width of interlining just to the first width of interlining, and then move across to the half width before I start interlocking again?

I had a little play with an offcut of interlining last night whilst watching television (Indian Food Made Easy, for the record) and do like the herringbone join.

Angie

Re: Interlining Question

Angie if you make and lay your curtain on the table as normal - Roll out your first length of interlining and interlock it as you normally would. I interlock 10cm in from each edge and down the middle width - I then lay the second width of interlining on the curtain with a slight overlap,herringbone the join and continue through the curtain.

Hope this helps..

Philip
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Thanks Philip for instant reply. So what I need to do is alter my spacing, rather than have two types of stitching in the same area, if I understand correctly. That sounds fine, will try that after lunch.

Angie

Comment

I interlock 10cm from the edge of each width to stabilise the side turnings and the herringbone stitched joins in the interlining. Overlap around 2.5cm as you lay a new length of interlining on the curtain.

I'm not on of these people who spend hours cutting lining, interlinings and everything to the correct, perfect size. I cut and crease my main fabric to the required size only, I then lay the rest on top and cut to fit as I go, this also allows the interlining time to adjust and retract after coming off the roll. Naturally the hems on the sateen linings are sewn in, but the tops are cut as when I turn the tops.

Same with roman blinds, my linings are always made too long and I cut to size when I turn the tops.

Philip
        Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi I realise this is an older post but it has been really helpful, I just wondered whether you would always attempt to put the interlining join in line with the joinn in the face fabric too or would this be too bulky ? I am using bump interlining with a heavy silky type fabric. 2 widths and 3 metres in length. And whilst here does any one have any fool proof way of ensuring a square cut accross the hem when working with such lengths. I seem to cut it square then when putting together it can be out by a couple of cm ?
          fiona
          ps sorry I should have said that I take the square by lining the length alons a straight line on my work table then cut accross , i use a laser light and also check with the cutting boards used in quilting.

thanks

Comment

Working...
          X