interlining into a hem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interlining into a hem

We have recently made 2 pairs of interlined curtains 2widths x 300cms drop in each curtain we piled loads of love and attention on them because the fabric was a saggy baggy type fabric from monkwell and was an absolute sod to work with we interlocked the interlining and lining and took the interlining into the hem and herringbone stitched just the face fabric turn to the interlining -------- HOWEVER all was not well oh no where the interlocking stitches were attatched to the face fabric it caused dimples so we had to unpick and just leave them on the seams the weight just seemed to pull it all . Anyway we hung them and they looked beautiful for about a week then phone call from customer could we go back and have a look at the hem and where the interlining was attatched to the curtain in the hem they had all twisted and dropped . What had happened is the face fabric had dropped more than the interlinig and they were fighting against each other !!!!!!!.So i unpicked the hem and am having the interlining hanging loose thy appear to be a lot better now ---well prehaps for another week !!! i might never put interlining into a hem again or just put a strip in side the hem for bulk and let the rest hang free what do you think any ideas ??????????????

Re: interlining into a hem

Oh poor you. I hate it when things like this happens, really dents the confidence.

With regard to the faric you are using, this can happen on a loose weave fabric. You can refuse to tuck the interlining into the hem and leave loose, just make sure its above the hem turn and that the interlining edge is overlocked so it doesnt fray. Your customer might end up with bits of frayed interlining on her floor otherwise

This method is standard on mass produced workroom curtains.

I do prefer the interlining to go into the hem folds, but sometimes its not practical and there needs to be an alternative method to use.

Comment

Ali do your allow your fabrics to rest after taking it off the roll? Fabrics are generally rolled tight and tend to stretch but will retract once taken off the roll. I always cut my drops and leave them to rest for 24 hours or so, and lay my interlining on my drops individually rather than machining them together.

Philip
      Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi Philip,

In regard to not machining your interlining together, do you always do this or just on loose weave fabrics? Do you herringbone them together on the seam, do you overlap them slightly??? Just wondered how you did it, because I hate machining interlining together!
        Kindest Regards,
        Karen

Comment

I lay out the curtain; roll out the interlining on top of the curtain, interlock into place, turn in the sides and then lay the next width on the curtain fabric, slight overlap - Herringbone the joins and interlock and repeat if necessary. I machined my interlining together once, and it was a nightmare for me so I stopped doing it that way. I have never had a set of interlined curtains returned or questioned - But I feel it very important to allow the fabrics to rest.

Philip
          Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

I am with Phillips method of herringbone stitching the interlining together on the curtain as I work. Hate, hate machining the stuff together, it always clogs the machine feed with fluff, usually ends up puckered and with an uneven level at the end of the seam and its just a menace. Much easier this way, for me anyway.
            I would be hesitant to just put a strip of interlining into the hem only, I think if it was left free inside the hem long enough to drop to the hem fold but not wrinkle it should be fine. I have actually done this in linen fabric in a new house. The curtains dropped as the house dried out, the carpenter put the pole up so........I wont say that it was truely level, and in desperation I cut the interlining back to the final drop, left it loose inside the hem and redid the hem ....have not heard anything since. Working on the supposition that no news is good news. As has been said, sometimes the fabric and the situation dictates how we get to the end result.

Enid

Comment

Perfect timing for this topic, i have interlined curtains to make and dont like machining together so will try out the alternative.........
              Sharon

Comment

I must say after using Philips method i much prefer it, much less stressful...thanks for sharing it
                Sharon

Comment

Working...
                X