Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining Checked Fabric

Afternoon all,

Having a great day, and then ................! I have a pair of curtains to make in a checked fabric - pencil pleat, nothing complicated I think!

However, I have just cut the first width and placed it side by side with the rest of the roll and I can't seem to get all the horizontal lines to match up along the check. Has anyone got any tips for me??? I can't take it across the fabric because there is also a vertical pattern with different colours running down it.

Any advise greatly appreciated.
    Kindest Regards,
    Karen

Re: Joining Checked Fabric

Hi Karen,

A nightmare that I think we have all experienced at one time or another. Sometimes the fabrics just do not join well, due to the weaving/printing and there is little or nothing you can do. Sometimes I find it looks better to make the join in the centre of a vertical stripe if they are quite thick, so that any slight off in the pattern is less noticeable at the join.

Also try to get as good a match on the most obvious part of the horizontal design, ignoring the design in between, hopefully any slight off, will be less noticeable.

Stating the obvious - clip the selvedge, or cut a few inches off if you can get away with it, it might join slightly better further in.

I once refused to alter a pair of curtains made in a checked Indian cotton by JL. They were interlined and had been re-made 3 times by said shop. Whilst the joins were all made very well, the design did not line up where the curtains joined in the centre. I told the customer that I had great sympathy for the maker, who must have been pulling her/his hair out, being given really bad off-grain fabric to work with. In my opinion they were mad to have kept them and should have had a full refund. I couldn't face altering them for their new house!

Good Luck.
    Sue.

Comment

Thanks Sue,

I'm sure I'm not the first or the last to have problems with checks. I completely understand why you refused to alter those curtains!

In the end I gave the fabric a good steam, I tried joining selvedge to cut edge without any joy. I then found instructions on another thread about joining pattern matches slightly differently, rather than just using a flat seam and it worked brilliantly.

So thanks to the wonderful help from this sight I have managed not to pull all of my hair out!!!
      Kindest Regards,
      Karen

Comment

Originally posted by Karen C

In the end I gave the fabric a good steam, I tried joining selvedge to cut edge without any joy. I then found instructions on another thread about joining pattern matches slightly differently, rather than just using a flat seam and it worked brilliantly.

So thanks to the wonderful help from this sight I have managed not to pull all of my hair out!!!
        I have placed a link below to the post originally by Penny regarding joins.
        Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Originally posted by Schuhby View Post
          I have placed a link below to the post originally by Penny regarding joins.

Joining widths post
          Hi Admin. Wonder if you could help please? I can't seem to open the link above about joining widths. Not sure if it's my end or if the link is broken. Thank you.

Comment

Sorry the link is broken and I'm unable to find it - I'm assuming it's lay both pieces of fabric on top of each other. turn back a few cm's of the top fabric, crease and position patter then sew on top of fold line. As you would when joining B/O lining to avoid pin holes
            Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Thank you Schuhby.

Comment

I think this post discusses the same method.....
                Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Thanks Louise.

Comment

..just make sure your customer knows it will be joined...

Comment

Working...
                    X