inserting buckram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inserting buckram

Hi just joined, great site, I know you have already told us on AW site but cant find it.!! Please could you tell me how you all insert buckram for hand pleated curtains because it looked a real time saver. Thank you

Hi Sophie

Lay the curtain flat and ensure it is straight on the table - Pull the slack out of the curtain and lay the buckram up to the top crease line. Be sure your buckram is flat and laying tight up against the top fold.

Fold the main fabric over the top of the buckram, bring your lining over the buckram and iron - More steam than heat as it's the steam that activates the glue in the buckram. I iron out from the middle without to much pressure.

Allow to cool before moving the curtain. If using a interlining as well, place the buckram between the interlining and lining fabric but be sure to keep all layers straight and taught to avoid wrinkles.

Some cut the interlining below the buckram to avoid bulk - I don't..

Philip
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Sophie do you mean inserting the buckram to avoid slip stitching the lining to the main fabric across the top?

If so you need to leave enough fabric on the top of your curtains to fold over the buckram and under the buckram by 2.5 cm's. So you would have, main fabric, lining cut to the fold line, buckram and the the flap of fabric folded over and under the buckram. Ensure all layers are straight and taught and then iron, again, lots of steam!

Pleat as normal.

Philip

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Philip thank you but I am being really think here. I have my finished length that I have ironed a crease into do I put the buckram on top of this crease and then fold over excess main fabric and then fold over again so that the buckram bottom is now sitting snug along the finished lenght fold. I think I could confuse anyone with this message hope you understand.

Comment

Are you doing this to the heading?

[attachment=0:2otzhut1]back.jpg[/attachment:2otzhut1]

If you are, lay the fabrics flat, main fabric, lining, buckram,. Fold the extra length of the main fabric onto the buckram and tuck under. Iron as usual.

Philip

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Thank you yes that is what I am trying to do. What are the pros and cons of each method?

Comment

Time, it's a time thing. It has been suggested before that this method wouldn't look so good from outside, looking through the window, so take this into account.

I wouldn't use this method for interlined curtains, it's more for lined curtains.

You'll find a lot of the major companies use this method, it's a quick and secure way of making a buckram headed curtains. This is also the method used when making eyelet headings; use 10cm buckram for this.

Philip

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Thank you philip. I will complete this way and see.

Comment

Re: inserting buckram

Hi

Philip for the buckram in the eyelet - have I read correctly you use 10 cm buckram (4")

Kathy
                  K W Designs
                  Bournemouth

Comment

Yes I do, looks better from behind.

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

I think I must have been doing this all wrong, reading this post.

I have only once used double sided and ironed it I think between the interlining and lining. Should I have done it this way then- face fabric, interlining, lining, then buckram and lastly the folded over face fabric?
                      Many thanks
                      J

Comment

Hi J,
                        You probably weren't 'doing it wrong' - there are several methods that can be used. I personally dont like double sided buckram, and wouldn't use it on just lined curtains, as I think where it is fused it spoils the look of the fabric.
                        Kind regards
                        Pen Harrison
                        Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Sorry to resurrect this post but: following instructions in Philip's post on Feb 22- 08. would you put the buckram to side seam fold line or right up to the side edge of face fabric (therefore having double thickness of buckram at each end of curtain. I have been taught to create a force mitre and tuck under (sew-in)heading tape when machine sewing, but not sure how I can do this with buckram!!!! I will have enough face fabric to tuck under, as per Philip's post, my lintel is so deep we are having to put the curtain pole above it therefore the face fabric in heading won't show outside.

Hope this makes sense.

J (Novice)

Comment

Hi J,
                            I fold the end of the buckram when inserting it into the side hem, making sure it doesn't go as far as the first pleat. The mock mitre is folded in the top fabric hem only.
                            Kind regards
                            Pen Harrison
                            Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

I think I'm being thick Pen, are you saying you put it to the edge of fabric then fold side hem as per normal, creating double thickness of buckram at side hem.

In essence - lay Buckram on top of lining edge to edge, fold over excess face fabric and tuck under buckram, then fold side hems, creating a mock mitre, and just hand stitch the side hems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. If the side hems have a double thickness of buckram is it easy to create a mock mitre?

Sorry to be so dense, I've never inserted Buckram before, (my soft furnishing course has finished until the New Year and haven't covered Buckram yet) and I really would like these curtains up for the New Year's Eve Party.

J

Comment

Working...
                              X