Oppulent Padded Look

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oppulent Padded Look

I have a client who is looking for their curtains (triple pleat) to have a real padded oppulent look. When I mean padded I mean padded. The fabric is a middle weight fabric and putting 280gm interlining in them, isn't enough padding!

Has anyone else been asked to do this and if so how do you achieve it? Would bump be sufficient? I was thinking of using a Polyester wadding instead of an interlining what do you all think?
    Kindest Regards,
    Karen

Re: Oppulent Padded Look

I have just finished a pair of interlined curtains hand headed that needed to look opulant. I used the 410g preshrunk bump from Edmund Bell. They also needed to be dimout lined so interlocked venus dimout to the 410g bump. They were more like a thick bedspread and looked superb!

Heavy though, so make sure the track being used is strong enough to take the weight. I had 5 widths hanging on my pole in the workroom and nearly died when they were beautifully hung and bandaged only to walk into the workroom the next morning to find all of them crumpled on the floor as the pole bracket ahd broken. I could have cried !!!

If you contact edmund bell they will send samples foc.

Comment

HI Tam

Do you have any photos????
      K W Designs
      Bournemouth

Comment

Hi Tam,

Thanks for that, Yes have you any photos? I think this would probably obtain the effect that I'm looking for. Yes I suppose the bedspread look up at the window is what the client is after! I bet they looked great.

I know where you are coming from with the crumpled curtains on the floor, after dressing them beautifully the day before. I too have had this happen and in fact I think I did cry as a number of other things had gone wrong that day too!! Final straw and all that. Have now replaced the pole and brackets with something more substancial.

These particular curtains are a width and half each and they are going on a 50mm pole so hopefully it will be substantial enough. I think it will definately have to have a centre bracket though.
        Kindest Regards,
        Karen

Comment

I promise I will have photos but I have to take them first . The fitter collected them from me and fitted the lathes/tracks and dressed the curtians/blind so havent been back to photograph the rooms. I will be there in the next weeks or so, as I have the rest of the house to yet complete!

Comment

I used to use the 410g bump all the time but I now use the 260g interlining more. I have about three sets of curtains in my own house made from the heavy bump and if they are dressed properly they will not look like quilts at all. It just makes the curtains even more sumptuos and is great for door curtains and drafty windows.

I would not go down the root of man made fibre as I don't like working with it. Its easier to handle but I like natural fibres as they breathe. I have only used the man made stuff for bedspreads as it is "spongier". Good luck dont worry the 410g stuff makes curtains look fab.

Regards
            Karen Rhodes
            Karen Rhodes Design
            Pole Design

Comment

Hi Tam, Just thought I'd ask, how easy is it to stitch in the pleats on this weight of fabric/interlining etc. Do you have to do them by hand or do you have a super duper sewing machine that doesn't mind?

Must have made your arms ache hauling them to the machine! I once put my sewing machine up on my worktable just so I didn't have to move some heavy curtains!.

Kim
              Kim

Comment

Hi Kim.

I have a janome, its a domestic one that I use and its has never ever failed me YET ! ( touch wood!) I machine from the bottom of the pleat to the top so the weight of the curtains rest on the table. I wouldnt attempt to drag them over to another machine , not sure how sewing them by hand would work , they were pretty thick! I used to have Mums old industrial singer in the work room but found I used the Janome all the time so the singer went back over mum cos she missed it! Putting the janome directly on the work table is exactly what I did

They were heavy , my arms ached hanging them in the workroom ready to bandage and slide over the polytubing

The things we do eh!

Comment

Thanks Tam, that makes sense. I wish muscly arms were attarctive on a girl but sadly they are not!!

I have a Pfaff sewing machine and bought it cos it said it'd sew through 10 layers of denim! It's pretty good, though I've not been brave enough to sew anything quite that thick yet.

I have some large interlined curtains to do soon so I think I too will bring the machine to the curtains rather than the other way around.
                  Kim

Comment

Working...
                  X