Weights in huge curtains?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weights in huge curtains?

We are making two pairs of lined and interlined curtains, 7 widths in each, 320cm long. Is there any point in putting weights in the corners and at the seams? I really cant see that it will make any difference!
    Kind regards
    Pen Harrison
    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Re: Weights in huge curtains?

Hi Pen, I too have wondered whether it's necessary especially where there is a join in the fabric because I usually overlap my interlining and herringbone which means there is extra weight near the joins anyway. I would suggest just putting them in the corners. You could also put 2 weights in one pocket in the corners to make it more effective in keeping the bulk weighed down. Just a thought.

Kim
    Kim

Comment

oh my goodness pen they are huge you wont need to go to the gym i dont think it will make much difference to the seams although for the sake of a few mins work it probably might be worth it so when people look at them they can feel that that there are weights in the hem and the job is done right are they for a stage or hotel or just a very big domestic house good luck

Comment

It takes two of us to move the fabric and interlining across the table, and we haven't added the lining yet. These are the biggest we've ever made, and I don't think I would want to make any bigger ones! I'm sure there must be better ways of tackling the job, so any suggestions gratefully received.

They are for a house, two front bay windows. The house itself isn't really big - five bedrooms - we've done 15 romans, six pairs of dress curtains (not quite as long) one pair of working curtains for the front door and these two bays.
        Kind regards
        Pen Harrison

Comment

Hi Pen

Have you ever consider sending work out? Brian FIsher & Sons make up for the trade and their prices are very reasonable. Well worth looking at.

Philip
          Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

I would have done for these, but they started off as dress curtains, which would have been fine so I had ordered and had the fabric delivered. Then it changed to working curtains on poles, so I just ordered the extra fabric. Otherwise I think I would have sent it off. The time it's taking, because of the weight is just silly. Next time......
            Kind regards
            Pen Harrison

Comment

Hello,

I don't think it will make a blind bit of difference having them in there. However I have had some clients feel the corners and the joins on my curtains to see if I have put weights in them! I think they feel that they have a better product if they have weights in the bottom! Up to you though.
              Kindest Regards,
              Karen

Comment

Working...
              X