Having a good day until !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having a good day until !!

Can anyone help? Adding eyelet tape to customers bright orange and white stripe curtains ( customers own fabric, for a child's bedroom ) I know a lot of you seem to use buckram and punched eyelets but I've worked with tape lots of times before with no problems.

My problem is....any machine stitching is going to show on the face fabric. White thread will show on the orange bands and orange will show on the white.

Not sure if I should use invisible thread ( the fabric is cotton ) or hand sew tape on but would that be strong enough.?

Can anyone help?

Cat C.
    Kind regards

Cat

Re: Having a good day until !!

Hi Cat C

I am currently making 4 sets of pencil pleat curtains, 315cm drop and I've opted for invisible thread rather than changing colours and find the results fine. However, I am using a dull thread and it doesn't shine too much when the light catches it. The thread takes on the colour of the fabric as you sew..

If you don't have a suitable invisible thread, then I'd suggest using a white thread as this will look better going through the orange stripe rather than orange through the white.

Philip
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Thank you for that advice Philip. I've seen the thread you are talking about before but the one I have is the bright glossy one and it breaks and knots all the time so I think, as you say, I would be best using the white ( they are very long, so I hope it wont be easily seen when they are hung. ) The hems and turn ins were no problem as I hand stitched those and they can't been seen.

Must say again what a great site this is. I cut my finger about an hr. ago and ' sods law ' I got blood on the front of the fabric right in the middle of a white stripe. After I froze with panic I remembered reading on the site that when this happened to someone else, they used their own saliva.

It worked, disappeared before my eyes. Panic over for today,

Catherine
      Kind regards

Cat

Comment

Quilting sites/shops can be good sources of matt invisible thread, for example http://cottonpatch.co.uk/acatalog/Invisible_Thread.html
        Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I buy mine off ebay - See here

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

The ebay seller says it's for use on industrial and domestic blind hemmers and blind stitch sewing machines. Presumably it would be ok on an ordinary domestic sewing machine too?
            Jane

Comment

Yes Jane, but you may have to wind a little cotton on the bobbin before putting the invisible thread on - I only use this in the bobbin and normal thread on top when putting on pencil pleat tape.

Philip

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi sometimes when i need two colours i will lightly go over the lightest colour with a matching felt tip pen( do a test piece first though )!!!!!

Comment

Thanks all, will order the correct thread for next time. Managed to finish o.k. with the thread I had 'tho it was a bit of a struggle, kept snagging every 2mins,
                  Good idea about the felt tips, must remember that one. 'Tho I guess they would have to be really fine.

Catherine
                  Kind regards

Cat

Comment

Catherine if your thread is snagging it may be that you need to change your needle - I tend to change my need 3 or so times a month, more if I've been busy.

Philip

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi Catherine,

I have some of the shiny invisible thread too. Like you mine keeps breaking and knotting and collecting fluff. I have found I have to persevere on getting the tension exactly right before using it. Bobbin and top thread need altering. I only use invisible thread for applying PP tape to patterned curtains, applying Velcro to tops of Roman blinds, and in the past for sewing along the rod pockets (before I knew better).

Empress Mills are a good source for threads www.empressmills.co.uk though I recommend phoning your order through rather than ordering on-line.

Sue.

Comment

Hi it was a new needle on machine so it wasn't that Philip but what worked very well was using regular thread on top and the invisible on the bobbin. Really pleased with how that looked. Thank you again, something else learned!!

Catherine
                        Kind regards

Cat

Comment

Working...
                        X