dilemma calculating space and pleats!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dilemma calculating space and pleats!

I have 2 sets of goblet pleat curtains to complete and spend yesterday going round in circles trying to get the same ( or relatively close) spaces and pleats as they are going to be hung in the same room. One set across the recess of the bay and the other on a side aspect window.
    Im in a dilemma as to whether to order another drop as I think I may have under estimated the fabric amount on the smaller window.So, before I tear any more hair out or pick up the phone and order another drop (£60pm 3m drops plus repeat) then cut most of it off just to get another pleat, I thought I'd post my dilemma here first( cos I know just how helpful you lot are when you cant see the wood for the trees!). The tracks/lathes are not made up yet ,and can be altered to fit. I have allowed 8cm for leading edge and 18cm outside returns to return around the lathe return to wall ,as thats how my fitter says it should be, and 5 cm bounce per curtain.

The measurements are
    Larger window:242cm w

2 drops per curtain allowance(4 drops total) @ 137cm w

Small aspect window 190cm w

1.5 widths per curtain allowance ( 3 drops total)@ 137cm Any help greatly appreciated.

seam allowances are selvege to selvege and it was a blooming nightmare to match as it hand printed silk! Looking good though!

HELP!

Re: dilemma calculating space and pleats!

Hi [email protected],
    I make it the following (with a 6cm overlap - I think 8cm is a bit big?)

For the smaller curtain:
    205cm flat curtain
    6cm overlap/18cm return
    7 pleats @ 11.5cm
    8 spaces @ 12.5cm making a finished curtain of 124cm (100cm + 24cm returns)

for the larger curtain:
    275cm flat curtain
    6cm overlap/18cm return
    11 pleats @ 11.5cm
    10 spaces @ 12.5cm making a finished curtain of 149cm (124cm +24cm returns)

these would be very small goblets - I'm dont know if it would work - what do others think? (Are my figures right?)
    Kind regards
    Pen Harrison
    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Have I read correct 18cm returns, is this your standard return? Or have I misunderstood something?
      Yvonne

Comment

Yes 18cm or 7" as it on lathe and fascia tracks, Oooooooo now you got me worried, what do you allow.

I rang my fitter today who upholsters the lathes and makes to size, collects the curtain and hangs and dressed the curtains. He always says 18cm but Im doubting this now Im sure he uses a 6" board so it leaves 1" to the 1st face pleat.
        I'd be intersted to know how much others allow???

Comment

Hmmm Erm (in a wee quiet voice) What is a lath
          Regards
          Mairi

Comment

a link with some photos for you Mairi

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur ... %26hl%3Den

Comment

Hi All,

18cm return does sound quite big. Anyway I prefer small goblets. I think they look more like champagne flutes rather than big red wine glasses. They stay upright better too, and stack back neater. Have I invented a new heading name? Fluted?

Sue.

Comment

Thanks Pen.

Trouble is i have 204cm falt width on the smaller curtain and 261 on the larger.

I have worked out the goblets at 11.1cm but Im worried that they were going to be too small until I read Sues post. I will ring my fitter again and check the returns , cos I cant afford to get this one wrong! I seem to be getting nowhere this week I cant belive its FRIDAY again! Thanks to all x.

Ps Sue I love the term fluted , its lovely !

Comment

Thanks for the link Tam...I am now lots wiser

I love this site apart from the learning, the encouragement & not forgetting the fun. It's great to know we have people always willing to help on the days our brains are refusing to work
                  Regards
                  Mairi

Comment

sorry, [email protected], read your post wrongly. You will have to reduce the size of the pleats, and if you want the pleats on the smaller curtain to be the same size, reduce the flat width of the smaller curtain.
                    Kind regards
                    Pen Harrison

Comment

No worries Penny, your help is much apprecaited.

After finally getting hold of my fitter , he confirmed the returns of 13cm finished with an opps sorry Tam !!!!!!!! Can I scream , can I , quick,,,,, cover your ears Anyway, after walking the dog, eating some crumpets WITH BUTTER and a couple of strong cups of coffee, I have it sorted.

Pleats are around 10.6/11.1cm for the goblet, and 14cm for spaces , I guess thats the nearest I can get it to be the same . is that sufficent? I make loads of double triple but very few goblet. We were taught anything between 12 and 15cm for hand headed pleats

Oh the dilemma of our day eh!

Comment

Put less in each pleat, and you'll have less fullness in the curtain, but that's okay. I thought the 18cm was a bit on the deep side for a return - but assumed you/your fitter knew what you were doing!!
                        Kind regards
                        Pen Harrison

Comment

Hi all,

catching up on all that has been going on while I have been on hols...I am glad to see that you have all been busy.....the detox starts today...oh sorry, tomorrow I must finish the red wine that was started last night....anything to take me away from the ironing, unpacking, the dreaded banking and sorting out of the euros.

Anyway, [email protected], I am sure that the finished effect will be great.....thats the extent of my help today, by Monday I may be better.

Enid

Comment

Hi enid , great to know you are back safely, you just bought a smile to my day Thank you Hope you had a lovely time.

Comment

Yes, thank you , I did, but you will be pleased to hear that I tried very, very hard NOT to look at the....

.....curtains in the villa, tab tops.... but all on the pole and none between the last bracket and the finial. Could not find the ladders otherwise I might just have fixed them

......curtains in the bedroom in the *** star hotel in Lyon that did not meet in the middle, sorry would not meet in the middle

.....curtains that just went whoosh along the pole in Dijon, does nobody put the end hook in????

......unlined plastic, awful, ones in the ****star Mercure in Rheims, at least the net ones were nice.Actually that seems to be the one thing that the French hotels do well, the voiles are always good.

Do you think we could all get jobs, going around these hotels fixing the curtains? It make me mad as I think its part of the ' housekeeping' in these places but I know that the customers just pull without any thought. Talk about busmans holiday.

Back to the ironing,

Enid

Comment

Working...
                              X