Thread: Sheer roman blinds

One Needle

Sheer roman blinds

Hi, I might be making some sheer roman blinds for a restaurant. They have 3 large, south facing windows (230cm wide x 170cm drop) overlooking a river so don't want to block the view. The blinds will be lowered a third perhaps so as to cut out the direct sun from diners. It will be the first season for the restaurant owners who don't really know how much of a problem the sun will be.
    I am thinking of railroading the fabric to avoid having vertical seams on show when the blinds are partially lowered. My questions are:

Do sheer romans look better with blind tape to hold the rods or pockets made in the fabric?
    If I make the rod pockets in the fabric then I can 'hide' the join needed to get the correct drop on the blind in one of them, if I use tape could the join be masked with the machining for the tape or would it be a bit bulky?
    If I use tape, do you thread the cord directly through the cord guide or is it better to attach a split ring and put the cord through that?

Think that's all!! Thanks in advance for any help.

Una

Pins & Needles

Re: Sheer roman blinds

I would make the pockets in the fabric, rather than use tape. Sheers come in wide widths and are used railroaded. So you should be able to get at the minimum of 180cm wide fabric so that you don't have to have joins.

If you do use tape, thread the cord through the loops on the tape, don't use rings.
    Kind regards
    Pen Harrison
    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

You can but translucent roman blind tape and rods, so opt for those if you decided to use the tape option. If you need to insert a weight bar in the bottom then opt for a tilt rod ( the see through ones that you get on verticals/venetian blind control wands) gives a good weight to the blind without seeing an insightful bar ,plus its cheaper!

Good luck!

Pins & Needles

Hi Una, I have made lots of sheer romans. I would make the pocket in the fabric as has been suggested. You can buy clear rings instead of white if that will help. If there is a pattern in the fabric bear in mind that you will lose a little of the pattern in the fold, so make the rod pockets quite small. Hopefully they will choose a fabric that is 3M wide which can be railroaded so you can avoid joins.
    They really are dead easy to make!
    Sue.

One Needle

Hi, thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.
    Una

Hi That sounds like a good suggestion re bottom weight but where can you get them from ?
    Thanks
    maggie

Linteriordesign

I dont like losing pattern so would use the see through tape and rods

good luck x

Thread Information