Thread: Which Thermal Lining?

Pins & Needles

Which Thermal Lining?

Hi. Client has requsted thermal lining which I don't use that often. There seem to be two types - single pass thin fabric or a fleecy bonded type. The prices are very different. Which do you generally use and can you suggest a supplier.
    TIA

Pins & Needles

Re: Which Thermal Lining?

I would only ever use the fleecy bonded type for blinds, Sue. It doesn't drape very well and does curtains no favours. I'd get a few samples from Edmund Bell or whoever you usually get your linings from. Or possibly from M&D if you will only want enough for this one job.

Kate

I have used both as required - but by the fleecy type I think you might mean the one that is brushed/lofted on one side?
    I think a member had excellent results with the coated thermal making a stair curtain for her workroom which stopped heat loss upstairs to an attic room? The lofted kind does add body to the finished curtains a bit like a v light interlining but without all the interlocking etc.

Most suppliers sell both so it depends whether you want to buy a roll or cut......and delivery charges etc.
    Louise

Simply Sewing

Found the curtain thread....
    Louise

Simply Sewing

Pins & Needles

Sue, Having recently opened an account with Hallis Hudson I was able to ask for some swatches of the thermal linings they do to show a client who didn't want interlined, but wanted something else. The 1-pass was what she chose over two brushed sateen thermals, (one was poly-cotton, one 100% cotton) The brushed sateens were alot more expensive than the 1-pass, but she wasn't choosing merely on price. I thought all three were very nice ( face fabric was a Designer's Guild linen), and particularly the brushed had a more 'lofted' feel.
    Caroline

Pins & Needles

I really like the lofted lining. It adds body and a luxury feel as well as being warmer than ordinary cotton sateen, but doesn't add the extra labour cost of interlining so can be more acceptable to some customers.

Best wishes
    Liz

Pins & Needles

I like the lofted when not using interlining but I think it does add quite a bit of weight also. I've used Hallis Hudson's thermal (1 pass) quite a lot as well & find it has quite a nice drape & has worked well in draughty homes. I've used it on the back of roman blinds too in draughty homes.
    KarenS

Thread Information