Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cafe curtains for a cafe!

Cafe curtains for a cafe!

Hi
    First of all thank you to those who replied to my earlier post re pleated bed valance. It fitted and the client was happy, though the financial return was was not great!

I have bee asked to make a cafe style curtain to hang in the shop window of a cafe (at top) It's 2.20 wide with 40 cm drop. The client wants the face fabric and the lining the same. Either scalloped space, grommets or wave heading. Firstly, how should I join the two fabrics so it looks the same from the street view? Any thoughts on which heading would be best and what should I charge?

Thanks

Rosie

Re: Cafe curtains for a cafe!

You could use the bag method to join the two fabrics at the sides and top, then leave the two bottom (hemmed) edges separate. This would also allow you to create a scalloped top if that was preferred. Any of the headings could be created in a double sided manner - although pressed eyelets are slightly more attractive on the 'front' than the back, you could use sew-on hooks to create a wave effect without tape. You could also consider tab top or tie top panels. If you search for double sided curtain on the forum there are already a few discussions and ideas.

What is the curtain to hang from? That might help the heading decision.

I think you need to show pictures of the various styles and get the customer to decide, they should also give you an idea of budget as that might rule out eyelets for instance.
    Louise

Simply Sewing

Pins & Needles

?????? Fire regulations........it might just be a cafe, but its still open to the public.

Three Needles

Hi Enid
    I would say yes to Fire Regs applying for a cafe.
    Jane

Pins & Needles

Rosie, just going back to the fitted bed valance a moment; please can you say how long you took to make it? Just to give others a handle on perhaps how they should price this type of job? We all try to learn from others' experiences. Thank you.
    Caroline

Hi Caroline
    The fitted bed valance took me several days to do as I hadn't done one before? It's a lot of work!! The clients fabric was quite heavy so making sure it's the right shape for the bed corners is difficult to get right as you don't have the bed to fit it to as you go along. I made a paper template of the curves on the bed corners while at the clients house which helped (I think). I would say it's probably better to have a bit of give in the base layer as it can be adjusted to fit and held in place by the mattress. If it's tight then that will bring the lower edge up. Merrick &Day curtain encyclopaedia has detail instructions and well worth 25 from Amazon. I used a tagging gun to hold all the pleats in place and the client was happy to leave them in.
    I charged 200 based on this forum but it didn't cover the time it took! I saw another post that suggested 285 (after I had finished the project) as Pen says so go for more to cover your time.
    Rosie

Having spent ages with the customer measuring up, selecting fabric, deciding on styles I put together a quote, which she mailed me to say was ok. But once I said ok I'll go ahead and make a start but would she mind giving me a 50% deposit to cover the foam & fabric cost she changed her mind��
    Does anyone else ask for a deposit? I've spent a fair amount of time time but got nothing back so feeling a bit despondent right now. So frustrating........

Always, always, always ask for a deposit, this should be stated in your terms and conditions when you send out the quote. It would have been a lot worse if she changed her mind after you had bought the fabrics and made them up.
    Kind regards
    Pen Harrison
    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Pins & Needles

How frustrating for you!

I always ask for a part-payment of 50% along with written acceptance of my quote and terms and conditions. That way at least I'm not out of pocket should the customer pull out after I have bought materials.

As Pen says, at least you hadn't incurred any financial loss, but it is very annoying when you consider all the unpaid time you have spent.

Best wishes
    Liz

Pins & Needles

Remember to call it a 'part-payment' or 'initial payment', too. My understanding is that if you call it a 'deposit', it is refundable if the client changes their mind, so cover yourselves by using a different form of words.

Kate

Thread Information