Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FR Lining seams puckering on underside

FR Lining seams puckering on underside

I am making large curtains for a village hall, the lining is high quality FR cotton sateen (sundown finish from M&D). I have an industrial lockstitch machine and I cannot get the seams as perfect as I would like, the top is perfect, the underside is puckered.

The machined hems are fine so I think the problem may be due to the FR coating causing slipping when sewing with RS together.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Can anyone offer me any tips on how to improve my seams (I have sewn one side completely and have yet to finish the other)?

I have even had an engineer out to check my machine, he wasn't able to get a better result than me. He did put a new needle in and give me a teflon foot but I now think the problem is slipping between the faces of the lining fabric.

I'd be pleased to hear I am not going mad here!

Jay

Re: FR Lining seams puckering on underside

You could try sewing with a piece of paper between the layers - once you've stitched it tears away quite easily. Try a test piece first and see if it makes any difference to how the layers feed through the machine.
    Louise

Simply Sewing

Try sewing a sample with the lining facing up, the sew another sample with the face fabric facing up. Chances are the FR treated lining is stretching out as you sew due to the process used at the treatment stage. Use a large stitch and a small stitch and see which one works best.

Thanks I am going to try these suggestions this morning, will report back.

Paper between the layers gives a much better result, if I can manage to control the lower layer properly I think I could achieve the finish I want. Just need to unpick and re-stitch the 7 3.5m fabric widths!

Thanks to all and specially Louise for the paper trick.

Jay

I tend to use a non fusible buckram for this as it rips away easy - Also good on top of the fabric is catching on the foot, especially when sewing in pleats.

I will try non fusible buckram thanks. Jx

Just an update, I have finished these. I ended up buying a walking foot for my domestic machine as sewing the heading tape on was a nightmare due to polyester fabric (durable FR) and maybe the lining. The walking foot made a massive difference. End result here:

curtains_up.jpg

Btw, I have since fixed the pleats on the RHS, it was hard to get the curtains up without disturbing the pleats (on a wobbly ladder).

Thanks for the photo, they look good.
    Louise

Simply Sewing

Thread Information